The term 'township' fell into disuse towards the end of the end 19th century, these areas then being generally described as 'Civil Parishes' in their own right. In more recent times some of the smaller (by population) civil parishes have been absorbed by their larger neighbours.


 
Amble and District
     Local History

 

 
      Amble town is located on the Northumberland coast at the mouth of the river Coquet, sitting on a modest promontory dividing Druridge Bay to the south and Alnmouth Bay to the north. Latitude: N55:19:48 Longitude: W1:35:06. Population: 6044 (2001 Census) Area: 168 hectares. map  
    Within a few miles are the villages and hamlets of Warkworth, Broomhill, Hadston, Red Row, Acklington, Togston and Hauxley. Two other villages with significant populations; Radcliffe and Chevington Drift, were demolished in the 1970s/80s to make way for opencast mining. Inhabitants of these villages were moved to Amble and Hadston. This area falls within the old parish boundaries of Warkworth and Chevington Chapelry. The neighbouring parish of Shilbottle and Brainshaugh Chapelry will also be included here.
    The core of the site will be the 19th century work by John Crawford Hodgson; A History of Northumberland, Volume V from which we will (hopefully) be inspired to develop some additional pages and photo galleries. Please contact us (via the forum)




Page 1   Page 2

Old photographs, plans, documents and ephemera wanted!!
     If you have any old photographs or documents of historical interest, relating to the people and places from our area then we would love to hear from you. Scans/copies can be emailed to us for publication on the site. If you would like to contribute please send us a message through the 'contact us form' above.
    We are interested in the area from West Chevington and Widdrington village to the coast, and north to Shilbottle and Newton on the Moor. That is the old parishes of Warkworth, Shilbottle, Brainshaugh and Chevington Chapelry, and a little beyond.  We are particularly interested in: The Collieries; Radcliffe, Broomhill, Newburgh, Hauxley, Whittle and Shilbottle. The 'lost' towns; Chevington Drift and Radcliffe, and anything else that has disappeared due to opencast mining. Also fishing and agriculture, the port of Amble (Warkworth Harbour) and the port's vessels. Landscapes, streets and buildings particularly those showing change. Group photos: workers, soldiers (groups of local territorials, officers, war casualties), sports teams, etc.
   
Note: We are restricted by copyright, and it's unlikely we can reproduce anything here already published post WW2, so we are particularly interested in pre WW2 material, although your own unpublished photos can of course be reproduced with your permission.

 
Latest additions to the site:   The Forsyth Image Collection    The Local Lingo!     1926 Amble Electoral Register   Chevington Churchyard Monumental Inscriptions   Chevington Cemetery Burial Index   Chevington Churchyard Burial Registers  RAF Acklington Record Book 1939-1945 (working on it!)    History of RAF Boulmer Aerodrome   The Broomhill / Amble Undersea Project
Forum RSS feed: 
 
 
The old ecclesiastical parish boundaries (click to enlarge)
Warkworth Parish (pink), Shilbottle Parish (orange), Brainshaugh Chapelry (yellow) and Chevington Chapelry (green).
   
Ecclesiastical
 Parish/ Chapelry
Acres
Townships N
Warkworth Parish 17455* Warkworth, Birling, Gloster Hill, High Buston, Low Buston, Sturton Grange, Brotherwick, Walk Mill, Morwick, †Acklington, †Acklington Park, Hauxley, Togston and **Amble
Chevington Chapelry  5484 East Chevington, West Chevington, Bullocks Hall and Hadston.
 
†  Brainshaugh Chapelry 1402 Brainshaugh
Shilbottle Parish 6501 Shilbottle, Shilbottle Wood House, Whittle, Hazon and Hartlaw, Newton on the Moor.
* Chevington Chapelry, being part of Warkworth Parish is included in this area.

† Acklington and Acklington Park were severed from Warkworth Parish in 1859 and constituted, together with the extra-parochial chapelry of Brainshaugh, or Guyzance, into the new Parish of Acklington.

** 1869 saw the severance of Amble, Hauxley and Gloster Hill townships from Warkworth Parish to form the new Amble Parish, with the new church located in Church Street, Amble.

 

19th Century Township Populations from the Census returns.

  Year:
Township Acres 1801 1811 1821 1831 1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1891
Warkworth 1129 614 568 594 614 785 834 730 765 662 666
Birling 87 81 69 85 80 73 83 78 83 104
Gloster Hill 212 21 21 31 28 18 45 46 38 44 39
High Buston 721 100 80 95 92 100 97 120 113 102 81
Low Buston 896 67 72 85 103 115 109 129 123 95 96
Sturton Grange 1119 88 86 72 88 108 130 122 114 116 78
Brotherwick 185 10 9 10 4 10 13 7 15 20 23
Walk Mill 127 6 6 13 7 5 8 7 11 5 8
Morwick 764 59 75 72 64 79 70 71 83 92 66
Acklington 2121 257 249 269 285 301 284 255 258 230 235
Acklington Park 794 108 125 125 107 133 104 163 120 142 76
Hauxley 753 92 113 114 143 457 811 937 556 972 1030
Togston 1079 84 96 102 149 151 217 224 208 232 500
Amble 1218 152 155 197 247 724 1040 1275 1233 2016 2975
Shilbottle 3000 472 465 548 557 549 601 570 528 428 454
Shilbottle Wood House 567 29 8 25 31 23 36 33 22 21 31
Whittle 549 64 101 64 53 56 40 40 28 19 9
Hazon and Hartlaw 1445 132 116 99 92 85 118 217 243 281 163
 Newton on the Moor 940 162 228 244 265 290 290 291 288 233 215
Brainshaugh 1402 172 186 173 197 205 215 217 243 281 163
East Chevington 2240 123 170 207 234 289 377 651 1134 1511 1550
West Chevington 1859 90 101 108 117 67 104 161 190 503 587
Bullocks Hall 210 7 22 14 14 19 20 14 15 11 15
Hadston 1175 68 72 88 97 71 103 92 55 81 78
 
 

Coquet and Coast Forum

 
 
The Amble and District Mining Memorial
       
Acklington Broomhill Hauxley Longframlington
Newburgh Newton Radcliffe Shilbottle
Togston Whittle Other Collieries  
       
 
Shipping and
Aircraft Losses


Sail ye near or sail ye far,
Keep off the rocks at Bondicarr.
Absent Voters' List 1918
(Widdrington to Alnwick).
WW1 War Diary of the 1/7th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers  (Our local battalion).
Medal Winners under construction!
       
Churches and Chapels

Old Amble Inns
pages under construction

       
       
       
       
Warkworth Castle
under construction 2/5ths complete
Ground Plan
 Photo Gallery
( under construction)
       
Warkworth Parish Northern townships:
Sturton Grange, Walk Mill, Brotherwick.  Birling    High Buston  Low Buston
       
       
The Parish Church of the Holy Trinity, Widdrington, Northumberland. (War Memorial and Monumental inscriptions etc.)

 

"K Cabs" Amble Taxi Service

       
 
adverts date from 1888.
 
 
 

© www.fusilier.co.uk 2009 ©