To be sold, the unexpired lease of the woollen manufactory at Acklington park and a small farm of 70 acres. The above has been established for thirty-five years, and the proprietor from advanced age and infirm health is desirous to retire from business. The manufactory consists of an oblong brick building of four floors, fulling mill, dye and drying houses, workshops, wool lofts, warehouses, residence for proprietor, workmen's cottages, and farm buildings. Apply to S. & T. Reed of Newcastle, solicitors. Newcastle papers, 10th April, 1828.
Ibid. 18th March, 1797, and 10th June, 1797.
Newcastle Courant, 2nd January, 1796.
Tradition says Kendal took a dislike to the place through the drowning of one of his daughters in the water above the caul. `1785, September 20th, Susannah, daughter of George Kendal of Acklington park,' buried. Warkworth Register.
This warehouse, which stood on the river side between Warkworth and Amble, was taken down about 1895, and the material used in the rebuilding of a cottage at the Beal-bank at Warkworth.
Cf. Smeaton, Reports (1776), ii. p. 324, where there is a plan of the dam.
Sir David Smith's Collection.
'To be let and entered immediately a farm of land at Acklington park consisting of 500 acres, with all necessary conveniences on the same, and pays only a small modus in lieu of all tithes. Also to be sold to the person taking it (if required) all the stock of cattle and implements of husbandry. Enquire of Mr. Edward Cook of Togston, Mr. Edward Cook of Brainshaugh, or Mr. William Hudson, brazier, at the Foot of the Side, Newcastle. Newcastle Journal, 14th February, 1747. All persons to whom William Hudson, brazier, deceased, stood indebted are requested to send their accounts to his widow and executrix, Mrs. Ann Hudson, who intends to carry on the business in all its branches. A spaniel dog to be sold. Ibid. 6th April, 1765.
` William Hudson of the Side, tin plate worker.' Whitehead, Newcastle Directory, 1778.
Ibid.
Ibid.
Warkworth Register.
Edlingham Register.
`Inclosed I send you a warrant for one hundred fother of limestones to be winn out of Shilbottle quarry for ye use of Aklington parke ; I begg it off you to take ye trouble as to cast up what quantity comes to each tennant's share, yt they may not fall out amongst themselves, and to give them notice yt this warrant is in force but till next audit, viz., November next : so that they must make what dispatch they can both in winning and leading ; if the quantity is too little they may blame themselves since I might have had what they might have had occasion for, who am, sir, your servant, lames Morton. Newcastle, 12th May, 1705.'

Letter from James Morton to Mr. John Cook of Togston, copied from the original with Mr. J. Cookson by the Rev. John Hodgson. James Morton of Newcastle, merchant, on the 10th July, 1701, took a 21 years' lease of Acklington park.

Rev. John Hodgson's Collection. Amble Guard Book.
Duke of Northumberland's MSS
John Rushworth, in a letter to John Aubrey, the antiquary, says, `I was born in Northumberland; but my parents were both born in the county of York.' Aubrey, Brief Lives, ii. p. 207.
Arch. Ael. 4to series, i. p. 167.
Cal. Border Papers, Bain, p. 78.
Bailiffs' Accounts, 44 Eliz. Duke of Northumberland's MSS
Ibid.
Mayson's Survey, circa 1616. Ibid.
Endorsed in the same hand 'For Sr. Edward Fytton. A vewe of the parkes for yo to see and th'old renttes of theym.' Survey of 1585. Duke of Northumberland's MSS.
Survey of 1585. Ibid.
Survey of 1585. Ibid. This payment was in addition to and different from the rent hens paid by every house. ' Every tenant of the townes of Thropton, Snytter, and Newtowne pay yearely to his lordshipp's use one rent henne . . . for their cattell goeing and feeding in the stubbles of his lordshipp's demeyne,' etc. Ibid.
Duke of Northumberland's MSS.
See above, p. 359. 1581, 20th June : Inventory of Cuthbert Horsley, late of Acklington park, gent. Summa, 19 5s. 3d. Raine, Test. Dunelm.
Statutes of the Realm, 13 Eliz. cap. xvi. ' An Acte for the confirmation of th'attaynders of Charles, earle of Westmerlande, Thomas, earle of Northumberland, and others.'
Bailiffs' Accounts. Duke of Northumberland's MSS.
Nicolson, Border Laws, p. 222.
Arch. Ael. 4to series, iv. p. 162.
'A vew of all my lord's dere in Cumberland and Northumberland' in the 4 and 5 Henry VIII. Duke of Northumberland's MSS.
'A description and gross valuation of all the castles, rents and farms. etc., and numbers of able men to serve the king conveyed to King Henry VIII. by the earl of Northumberland.' Duke of Northumberland's MSS.
Ibid. 22 Hen. VII. Ibid.
Ibid. 3 Hen. VII. Ibid.
Ibid. 2 Hen. VII. Ibid.
Ibid. 20 Edw. IV. Ibid.
Bailiffs' Accounts, 12 Edw. IV. Duke of Northumberland's MSS.
Sturwys or stowres = stakes.
The following list of the farmers and keepers of Acklington park is compiled from the Bailiffs' Accounts, etc. : 1486, Henry Ellergyll, vicar of Warkworth, farmer ; 1487, James Caterall, parker ; 1489, James Caterall, parker (he was living and pensioned in 1508) 1503-1506, Edw. Radcliffe, farmer ; 1508, James Benely, parker ; 1519, John Symson, agister ; 1523, Alan Horsley, agister ; 1524, John Symson, agister ; 1526, James Fawkner, agister ; 1532, Thos. Horsley, farmer ; 1537, Thomas Harbottle, farmer ; 1541, Robert Harbottle, farmer ; 1561 and 1562, Robert Horsley, farmer ; 1571, Margaret Harbottle, agister ; 1585, William Wycliff, farmer, and Geo. Horsley, keeper ; 1587-1592, Roger Thorp, farmer ; 1602, John Rushforth, gent, farmer. Duke of Northumberland's MSS.
Cartington's Rental. Duke of Northumberland's MSS.
'Fall' = faid; the Northumbrian form of fold or enclosure for sheep, etc. This close may have belonged to the chapel of St. Mary Magdalen at Warkworth. 1438-39. Werkworth, 26s. 8d. de Com. Northumbr. pro ferma capelle B. Mar. Magd. et pro 120 acr. terr. arab, et pro prato quod vocatur Braynly infra parcum de Aklynton ut patet per cartam Joh. fil. Roberti ; summa, 26s. 8d. Durham Account Rolls, Fowler, i. p. 63. Surtees Soc. No. 99. Cf. p. 123 supra.
Inq. p.m. Henry Percy, 42 Edw. III. No. 48. Ibid. p. 111.
Inq. p.m. Henry Percy, 26 Edw. III. No. 52 a. Ibid. p. 108.
Inq. p.m. Robt. fil. Roger, 3 Edw. II. No. 55. Ibid. p. 105.
Inq. p.m. Roger fil. John, 33 Hen. III. No. 66. Arch. Ael. 4to series, ii. p. 98.
Owing to the windings of the boundaries, Acklington park is now more than five miles in circumference.
The Census Returns are : 1801, 108 ; 1811, 125 ; 1821, 125 ; 1831, 107 ; 1841, 133 ; 18;1, 104 ; 1861, 163 ; 1871, 120 ; 1881, 142 ; 1891, 76.
Cf. Kemble, Saxons in England, i. pp. 431-2. Atkinson, Forty Years in a Moorland Parish.
London Gazette, 30th September, 1859.
Warkworth Parish Clerk's Book.
Duke of Northumberland's MSS.
Duke of Northumberland's MSS
1666, 23rd January : Inventory of Edward Muschamp of Acklington : Jane, his widow, gives up her right of administration to Robert Muschamp for her own use. 1682, 1st June : Inventory of Robert Muschamp of Acklington : Administration granted to Stephen and Isabel Muschons, joint administrators. , 1713, 17th February : Will of Isabel Muschamp of Akelington, spinster (sic), to be buried in the church of Warkworth. To my grandsons William and Robert James, to my grand-daughter Mary James, my daughter Jane James. My grandson John James, my farm ; he executor. Proved, 1713. Raine, Test. Dunelm.
1743, 13th May. Indenture tripartite between Henry Grey of Howick, esq., (1) Joseph Burrell of Lyham, gent., sole executor of the will of John Palfrey of Lyham, gent., deceased (2) Thomas Clennel of Newcastle, esq. (3) A mortgage of lands in Acklington described Howy's-close and Lamb's-mead, held under a twenty-one years' lease, dated 2nd April, 1730, from Charles, duke of Somerset, to the said John Palfrey, at the annual rent of 3, which lands were formerly in the occupation of Joseph Palfrey, father of the said John ; which lease was, 29th September, 1733, assigned to Henry Grey as security inter alia for 1,000. The mortgage is now assigned by Grey to Clennel to secure 700 advanced by him to Burrell.
Rev. John Hodgson's Collection. Warkworth Guard Book.
Duke of Northumberland's MSS.
Earl Percy, The Ancient Farms of Northumberland. Arch. Ael. xvii. p. 10.
Ibid. (Fractions below perch omitted.)
Ibid
Duke of Northumberland's MSS
Mayson's Survey, 1616 ; Duke of Northumberland's MSS. (Fractions below perch omitted.)
Ibid. p. 452.
Ibid. ii. p. 74
Cal. Border Papers, Bain, i. p. 20.
1586, 25th February. Will of Thomas Lawson of Aklinton, yeoman ; to be buried in the parish church of Warkworth. John Lawson, my son. Raine, Test. Dunelm.
Duke of Northumberland's MSS.
Each cottager held common of pasture.
Duke of Northumberland's MSS.
Clarkson's Survey, circa 1567 ; Duke of Northumberland's MSS.
A small farmstead is still called Whirley-shaws.
The season of the hart and buck was called grease time because that was the season when they were fat and fit for killing. Hallnock's Dictionary, s.v. grease.
Hained = kept back from pasture. Heslop, Northumberland Words.
Clarkson's Survey, 1567 ; Duke of Northumberland's MSS.
Duke of Northumberland's MSS.
Arch. Ael. 4to series, iv. p. 163.
The following is a list of the grieves or bailiffs of Acklington from whose accounts the foregoing items have been abstracted : 1472, Robert James ; 1474, William Male ; 1480, William Male ; 1486, William Male ; 1487, William Male ; 1489, William Male and Thomas James ; 1503, Thomas Pereson ; 1506, Thomas Turnour ; 1509, Thomas Symson ; 1519, James Patterson ; 1523, John Robynson ; 1524, John Symson ; 1526, Thomas Symson ; 1532, Thomas Symson ; 1533, John Lawe ; 1534, Thomas Pereson ; 1537, John Harpere ; 1541, James Robynson ; 1562, John Robinson ; 1585, Thomas Anderson ; 1587, Thomas Wright ; 1588, John Robinson ; 1589, William Robinson ; 1590, John Sympson ; 1591, Robert James ; 1592, Roger Wymprey ; 1593, John Jackson ; 1594, John Clay ; 1602, William Barker. Duke of Northumberland's MSS.
Duke of Northumberland's MSS.
Now Whirleyshaws
Cartington's Rental, 14 Hen. VII. Duke of Northumberland's MSS.
Ibid. 5 Hen. VII. Ibid
Bailiffs' Accounts, 12 Edw. IV. Duke of Northumberland's MSS.
Ibid. Henry de Percy 42 Edw. III. Ibid. p.111
Inq. p.m. Henry Percy 26 Edw. III. 52 a. Arch. Ael. 4to series, iii. p. 1.38.
An inroad of the Scots under Robert the Bruce was made about Midsummer, 1316. ' These desolations of war increased the scarcity and dearth which had arisen from a succession of destructive seasons, so that a quarter of wheat was sold in the North of England for forty shillings ; and the Northumbrians were driven to the necessity of eating the flesh of dogs and horses and other unclean things.' In June, 1342, David, king of Scotland, at the head of a numerous army entered England by the eastern border, wasted and spoiled, far and wide, the counties of Northumberland and Durham. Ridpath, Border History, pp. 252, 332.
Inq. p.m. Rob. fil Rogeri, 3 Edw. III. No. 55. Arch. Ael. 4to series, iii. p. 104.
Northumberland Assize Rolls, 40 Hen. III. Page, p. 97. Surtees Soc. No. 88.
Inq. p.m. Roger filii Joh. 33 Hen. III. Arch. Ael. 4to series, iii p.98
Duke of Northumberland's MSS.
A field on Cavil head farm is still known by the name of the Key-hill.
The Census Returns are : 1801, 257; 1811, 249; 1821, 269; 1831, 285; 1841, 301; 1851, 284; 1861, 255; 1871, 258; 1881, 230; 1891, 235.
'Acklington is said to mean 'the mark inhabited by the Aeclingas.'
Kemble, Saxons in England, i. p.436
 
Menu
 

THE HISTORY OF ACKLINGTON TOWNSHIP

 
The greater part of the township of Acklington, N which has an area of 2,121 acres, is situated a little above the 100 feet contour-line of the Ordnance survey. Its north-west corner abuts upon the river Coquet, and, except a wood comprising about 50 acres, replanted about forty years ago, it is all in pasture or under tillage. The population in 1891 was 235. N A survey made at the beginning of the seventeenth century describes the bounder of the township in the following words ;
 
Acklington beginninge at the over end of Braunshaugh-bank even as the pale goes to the water of Cockett, and soe downe the water of Cockett to Whinfell-dike, and along Whinfell south dike to the North burne, and goe east on the northe side of the said burne to a dyke corner at Key-hill, N and then turne south over the dyke in Key-hill as the way goeth to the glades to the marche stones there, and soe along as a lane goeth to the north nooke of Leyng lands dyke (having one raike for cattell without) to the south side of the west raynes, and soe to the south end of Pringles-letch, and soe from thence upp the south side of Whitakers, and then south the nether end of Dayndes-Flatt, and soe to a water gappe a little by the south of Nayler-gate, and soe upp along as the way goeth to the rough dyke end, and from thence along even as the way goeth to the south burne to West Chevington hagge dike, and then upp the hagge dike to the Shawe dike, and from thence even as the dike goeth unto the parke pale, and soe from thence downe the said pale to Braunshaugh-banke end, where wee begunne. N
 
 

Map of Acklington and Acklington Park Townships

 

Map of Acklington and Acklington Park Townships. (Acklington Park in green)

 
     No traces exist, nor have any objects been found (so far as is known), of the prehistoric inhabitants of Acklington, though a reminder of early occupation is suggested in the name of the homestead of Chester-house, from which a road probably led, and has in part been traced, to Gloster-hill, near the estuary of the river Coquet. The feudal history of the township has always been included in that of the castle and barony of Warkworth, of which barony it is a member. There are a few notices of the vill and tenants of the thirteenth and beginning of the fourteenth century, and from that period onward the elaborate surveys, bailiffs' accounts and receivers' accounts remaining in the muniment room of the duke of Northumberland yield abundant evidence of the relationship of the tenants with their lord and with one another.
    A full account of Acklington in the year 1248 is preserved in the inquisition taken after the death of Roger fitz John, lord of Warkworth, N in which it was found that there were in Aclinton twenty-one bond tenants, each of whom held 30 acres of land, for which he rendered each year 3s. 6d. in rent, 4 quarters of malt barley (or 9s. at the lord's option); for stallage 2d.; for the keep of the lord's draught horses and cattle (averiorum) 3d. ; and a fowl (or 1d.) to be paid at Christmas ; every week he laboured for three days (unless a feast intervened), or in lieu he paid, at the lord's option, 5s. ; in autumn he reaped the lord's corn for five days with two men (on three of the days the lord providing the food, on the other days he provided it himself) ; the value of this service was 6d. He was bound to carry to the castle of Warkworth a load of firewood from Acklington, or give 1d. in lieu of the same. The value of the rents and services of the twenty-one tenants was 19 11s. 3d. a year. The tenants held a meadow called Rumedu, for which they paid 5s. a year. Robert Annig held 3 acres of land, and rendered for the same a quarter of malt barley of the old measure ; and Roger Wansbe, by charter, held for the term of his life 20 acres of demesne land for keeping the park, and also 4 acres for which he gave 2s. 6d. a year for all services.
    There were also ten farmers who held 168 acres of land, and rendered 75s. 11d. a year, and each made forty works with a man a day (the lord providing food on four of the days), which, besides food, were worth 25s. a year. There were also two cottars, who held 5 acres and rendered 2s. 9d. for rent and made works of the value of 5s. William, the smith, for making the iron of Warkworth and shoeing the horses, held 9 acres of land.
 
    At the Northumberland assizes of 1256, Roger, son of Thomas of Esingwaud, pleaded guilty to the charge of stealing clothes (pannos) from the house of Robert, the son of Henry, in the vill of Aklinton. Evidence was given that he had fled to Bolam, and taken refuge in the church there ; he abjured the realm. N There were fourteen tenants assessed to the subsidy of 1296.
 

ACLINGTON SUBSIDY ROLL, 1296.  

 
    .   s.   d.   s.   d.
Summa bonorum Utting filii Willelmi    0  12  9    

unde regi

1      2
" Agnetis viduae 0  14  1 "  1    3
" Hugonis messanger 0 14  5    " 1     3
" Rogeri molendinarii. 1  1  10   " 1   11
" Tyocke viduae 0 15  3   " 1     4
" Ranulphi praepositi 0 15 6 " 1     5
" Thomae Scot 1  0  3 " 1   10
" Willelmi de Felton 1  2  4 " 2     0
" Willelmi filii Roberti 0  14  7 " 1    4
" Rogeri caretarii 1  4  8 " 2    2
" Roberti ad portam 1  6  1 " 2    4
" Roberti filii Gilberti 0  19  10 " 1    9
" Hugonis stodherd 0  17  6 " 1     7
" H. Payn 0  11  4 " 1   0
Summa hujus villae, 12 10s. 5d.  Unde domino regi, 22s. 9 d.
 
    In 1309 there were in Aclington forty-seven bond tenants, each of whom held a messuage and 18 acres of land, and paid 9s. ; the total, 21 3s. There was a dovecote worth 3s., and a windmill worth 5 6s. 8d. N Three years later, fourteen tenants were assessed at 17 9s. 10d. for a subsidy.
 

AKELINTON SUBSIDY ROLL, 1312.  

 
    .   s.   d.   s.   d.
Summa bonorum  Radulphi filii Roberti    3  0  0     

unde regi

6     0
" Thomae Scot 1  10  4 " 3   0
" Roberti ad portam 1  16  0 " 3   7
" Hutredi 1  19  4 " 3   11
" Ranulphi filii Thomae 1   12  0 " 3   2
" Vymarce viduae 0  12  0 " 1   2
" Rogeri filii Willelmi 1  3  6 " 2   4
" Willelmi King 0  17  0 " 1   8
" Adae filii Ricardi 0  18  4 " 1   10
" Willelmi de Felton 1  1  8 " 2   2
" Willelmi stoker 0  11  0 " 1   1
" Rogeri carter 0  17  4 " 1   9
" Rogeri filii Willelmi.. 0  19  4 " 1  11
" Adae de Wyndegatis 0  12  0 " 1   2
Totius villae de Akelinton,  17 9s. 10d. Unde regi, 35s. 1d.
 
 

ACLYNTON SUBSIDY ROLL, 1336.

Thomas filius Roberti, 6s. 8d. ; Hugo Wayt, 2s.; Hugo filius Rogeri, 2s. 8d.; Ricardus filius Rogeri, 4s. 4d.; Adam Stodhird, 4s. 2d.; Robertus filius Willelmi, 1s.; Rogerus filius Ranulphi, 4s. 3d. ; Willelmus filius Ranulphi, 3s.
Summa, 28s. 1d.
 
 

     In 1352 there was at Aklyngton a certain capital messuage, which was worth and rendered 4s. a year ; 70 acres of demesne land, which were worth and yielded 40s. ; and 7 acres of meadow, worth 14d. per acre. Of the thirty-five bondage holdings, each of which contained a messuage and 16 acres of land, twenty-six paid 12s. each per annum, and the remaining nine lay waste and uncultivated for lack of tenants, N though 10s. was received for the herbage. The windmill was worth and paid 40s. a year, and the perquisites of the halmote court were worth 3s. 2d. N Sixteen years later, the site of the manor rendered 4s. a year, the 70 acres of demesne land were let to the tenants at will at 6d. an acre, and the 7 acres of meadow were let at 12d. an acre. There were twenty-six bondage holdings in the hands of tenants at will, each of whom paid 13s. 4d. a year ; and there were nine bondage holdings which lay waste, but yielded 20s. for herbage. The windmill rendered 30s., and the profits of the halmote court 3s. 4d. N
     In 1472 thirty-five husbandlands yielded 19 3s. 2d. ; a capital messuage called the 'Hall-stede,' 8s. 9d. ; the price of twenty-three (sic) hens, from each house whence smoke issued, one hen at 1d., 2s. ; giving a total sum of 19 13s. 11d. to be accounted for. N In 1489, 5s. 4d., was paid to the tenants of Acklington for mowing a meadow called 'Ermet-fall ' for hay to the lord's use for his cattle in Aklyngton park in winter after the close of the account, 5s. 4d. N
    In a survey made about the year 1498 N it was ascertained that though there were at that time nominally thirty-five husbandlands or tenements in Acklington there were actually but eighteen, for seventeen tenants held two husbandlands apiece and paid 20s. a year ; and the other tenant, Thomas Pereson, who only held one husbandland, paid 10s. a year. The names of the seventeen tenants were : Robert and Thomas Jamys, William Gibson, Thomas Sympson, William Jamys, John Symson, John Pereson, John Hudson, William Patanson, Richard Wryght, Robert Jamys, Robert Hudson, James Katerall, William Maile, William Crawcester, Hugh Jamys, Robert Symson, Robert Wright. Besides the holders of the thirty-five husbandlands, there were eight cottage-tenants or cottars, who held directly from the lord, at rents varying from 1s. to 8s. 9d. a year. There was a system of suretyship common to both classes of tenants ; the tenants paid twenty-four rent hens ; and the sum of the rents was 19 13s. 11d. a year.

 
In 'a description and gross valuation of all the castles, rents, and farms . . . conveyed to King Henry VIII. by the earl of Northumberland,' it is noted that in the lordeshippe of Acklyngton ben ij lytell woodes, one called Shevley and another Whorlecharle, N both conteyneng x acres, wherof the under-wood ys estemyd to the valewe of xli.' And there is in the same 'of okes for tymber xxx trees, valued at lxsN
 

The following extracts relating to Acklington are derived from the sixteenth-century bailiffs  N and receivers' accounts preserved among the duke of Northumberland's MSS.

 
    1526, Michaelmas. The bailiffs' account for arrears of last year, 61i. 8s. 8d.; rents and farms as in previous years payable at Martinmas and Whitsuntide, 19li. 13s. 11d.; new rent as in previous years as appears by the rental, 4s. 4d.; new rent of John Symson for farm of a brewery in the lordship leased to him by the lord's commissioners 13 Henry VIII. for twenty years, 2s. ; increase of farm of one small close called Kay-hill close, charged above at 16d. yearly, and leased by the lord's commissioners 9 Henry VIII. to Thomas Symson for 6s. 8d. yearly, 5s. 4d. Sum of receipts and arrears, 261i. 14s. 3d.
     Allowances. William Gybson received by him of the rents and farms of the lordship for two years ending at Michaelmas, 14 Henry VII., and kept by him in the name of an annuity granted to him by the executors of the last earl at 20s. yearly, above among arrears 40s. Edward Radclyffe, late constable of Warkworth castle, received by William Male, provost, 17 Henry VII., beyond his fee of 10 marks yearly 17s. 11d. William Male, grieve, 21 Henry VII., for his arrears, 50s. 9d. Christopher Thrilkeld, esquire, received of the issues of the lordship, 22 Henry VII., and claimed in part payment of 10 marks for his fee as constable of Warkworth castle the same year for which he did not show the lord's warrant, 20s.
    1532. Increase of farm of a small close called Kyhil-close, charged above at 16d. yearly, now leased to Thomas Symson at 6s. 8d. yearly, 5s. 4d. New rent of John Symson for farm of a brewery within the lordship leased to him by the lord's commissioners in 1521 for twenty-one years at 2s. yearly, 2s. Sum, 201i. 5s. 7d.
    Allowances, etc. Delivered to Master Ingram Percy in part payment of his annuity as in carriage of grain from Aklington to Alnwick as appears by a bill dated 12th April, A 24, 4s. 10d. Paid to tenants of  Aklington for carriage of 17 waggon loads of grain, corn, oats, and big, cart loads `in sheffes,' from Hedelston to the chapel of St. Mary Magdalene in Warkworth before Christmas A 24, at 8d., as appears by a bill written by John Williamson, clerk, controller of the household,11s. 4d.
    1534. Paid to tenants of Aklington for carriage of 36 bolls of coal from Ambell-hugh to Belton-feld (3s.), and of 55 bolls of lime from Baton to Warkworth castle, at a 1d. a boll (4s. 7d.), 7s. 7d.
 

In 1538 the township sent to the muster but one man fully equipped, the remaining twenty-four, though able men, were wanting in horse and harness.

 

ACLINGTON MUSTER ROLL, 1538. N

 
Willme Pawttinson, horse and harnes ; John Robynson, Ryc. Borden, John Wryght, Thomas Symson, Rog. Symson, Willme Symson, John Thomeys, Robt. Symson, John Person, Willme Clay, Robt. Hudson, Willme Wryght, John Robyson, John Mantell, Ryc. Herryson, John Robynson, Robt. Symson, John Lawe, Thomas Smyth, James Pattonson, John Burstred, John Harper, Thomas Wryght, George Steynson, able men wanting horse and harnes.
 
 
     Eight of the able men present at the muster were living when the survey of 1567 was made, and at least eight others were represented by their sons or kinsmen of the same name. This document gives not only the estimated acreage of the arable, meadow, and pasture land belonging to each of the eighteen tenants, but the extent of the close or croft attached to his tenement, and the fine payable on admission or paid at the customary periods.
 

SURVEY OF ACKLINGTON TOWNSHIP circa 1567 N

Tenants Messuages Area of
Close. etc.
Holding Rent Fine
  A.  R. Acres   s. d.   s. d.
Robert Robinsone 1 4   1 30 20  4 2  0  8 
William Robinsone  1  4   1 30 20 4 4  1  4
 Roger Simpsone 1  4   0  30  20 4  3  1  0
Robert James  1 6   0  30 21 4 4  5  4
Thomas Wimpray  1  2   0 30  20 4 4  1  4
John Urpethe  1 4   0  30  20 4  4  1  4
 John Claye 1  4   0  30  20 4  4  1  4
John Pattersone  1  4   0  30  20 4 4  1  4
John Robinson  1 3   2  30  20 4 3  1  0
Robert Johnsone   1  2   0  30  20 4 3  1  0
 Robert Lawe 1  4   0  30 20 4  3  1  0
 John Smithe 1 5   0  30  20 4  3  1  4
William Pawtersone  1  2   0 30  20 4 3  1  0
 John Brewster 1  4   0 30  20 4  3  1  0
 Thomas Andersone 1  2   0  30  20 4 2  1  4
Humphrey Harper  1  1   0  15  10 2  1  0  4
 Thomas Simpsone 1  2   0  30  20 4  3  1  0
 John Wright  1  2   0  30  20 4  3  1  0
  18  
 
 
 

ACKLINGTON COTTAGE TENANTS, 1567. N

                                             Cottages Acreage of Cottages and Close, etc.       Rent. Fine.
  A.  R.          s. d. s. d.
Thomas Lawsone 1   0 2  0 8  0
Richard Hardinge 2   0 - -
William Wright 1   3 6  8 26  0
Robert Robinsone 1  0 4  0 12  0
William Simpsone 3   1 8  0 24  0
Roger and William Simpsone 6   0 6  8 20  0
George Thewe 0   1 3  0 9  0
Edward Smales 2   0 8  9 30  0
Thomas Woompray and Robert Johnson 5   0 7  6 22  6
       
 
The document from which these tables are compiled goes on to say :
 
    Ther is a mencon of a mansion howse lyke as it hathe ben the scite of the manor nowe in the tenure of Edward Smales and demysed by the name of a cotadge of ye yerly rent of  viijs, ixd
    Ther ys neather avowson nor patronage of benefice in this towne of Ackelingeton, for yt ys parcell of the vicarage of Warkeworthe ; neather ys ther anie demeane lands or demaine meadowes, but all is occupied together in husbandrie ; yer ys no comone grounde to be improved, althoughe ther ys large comon, because of the barrenness therof, withoute greate hurte to the tenants, which of necessatie muste be cherished and rather helpt for service cause.
    Yt is mooche convenient yt all yt parte of ye comone which is betwixte ye easte corner of ye southeaste ende of Ackelington parke to ye gate of ye said parke, and as ye heighe streate called Warkworthe waye goethe wer inclosed with a stronge quicke hedge, and that the same so inclosed did lye twoo or thre yeares in haninge, N  in which tyme ye tenants mighte with ther owne labor brynge ye same to a fyne grounde or at ye leaste to arable grounde wher nowe yt ys but rotten mosse grounde, which wolde be to the tenants in grease tyme N muche comodetie. as also to ye said parke a greate strengthe and saife garde to his lordship's game.
    And yt ys to be noted yt ye grounde called Whorle Charre, N which lyethe at ye northe caste corner of the said parke, enclosed on ye one syde with ye pale of the parke envyrouned on two partes with the water Cokett, ys the beste and moste comodiouse parte of all the comone. The same is alwaies eaten with ye cattell of Braineshaughe, Guisnes, and Bernehill, and muche suffrid by licence by the said tenants, - for that yt ys farre from them yt wer good the same wer also enclosed, but that ther ys a comon waye over at the forde of Braineshaughe which cannot he barred, or yf not, a lodge ther to be budded for the comone servaunte dewringe ye tyme of summer, or else a specyall respecte to be gevine unto the same or else ye same grounde wyll doe ye saide tenants not muche profett and in tyme be a specyall cause, the same to be improved to his lordship, which God forbyd yt sholde be so, for they maye not spare yt for nothinge.
    It wer also good that ye parcell of grounde called Cheaveley wer also enclosyd by the said tenants with a stronge quicke-hedge and kepte severall to the use of the said tenants, onelie provyded that the cottages had set foorthe to them suche parcell of ye said comone as wolde serve them or extende to suche quantetie of ye grounde so inclosed by the said tenants, which they owe to have as apperteaninge to ye cottagers, and yt they mighte lykewyse inclose ye same yt wer to them all a greate comodetie as also a ,greate strengthe to his lordship's game.
    This towne ys not to be devyded otherwayes than yt ys nowe presentlie, for that ye inequalitie of ye goodnes of the grounde as also ye scyte of the towne, which ys yn all respectes scytuated for ye most comodetie to all the said inhabitaunts. Neverthelesse yt ys muche requisyte yt every tenant and cotiger had sett foorthe to him such quantitie of grounde adjoyning unto his tenement or cottage as wolde fall by equall porcion unto them and everie of them and everie tenant or cottinger to inclose his crofte from the other with one stronge dyke quicke sett as before ys menconed. Provyded also ther in bothe sydes of ye said towne ther be remaninge suche accustomed loninge and comone passadge, the same not to be straitened, as at this present are on bothe sydes of the said towne for ye occupacon in maneteaninge and tyllage of ye said grounde as well erable as medowe and pastor. N
 

A survey made about the year 1585 is still richer in detail than that made in 1567 :

 

ACKLINGTON, 1585.  N

 

Tenants at Will. Former Tenant     Husbandlands containing Rent Fine
Acres   s.  d.   s.
 John Robinson  Previously held by Robert, his Father 1 messuage 1 croft and 6 selions of arable land of 4 a. 1 r. 30 20  4 5  0
William Robinson - 1 messuage 1 croft and 6 selions of arable land of 4 a. 1 r. 30 20  4 5  0
*John Simpson Roger, his father 1 messuage and garden  1 croft of 2 a. and 3 selions of land of 2 a. 30 20  4 5  0
Robert James Himself 1 messuage 1 croft of 4 and croft of 2 a. 30 20  4 5  0
Roger Womprey Thomas Womprey, formerly Robert Simpson 1 messuage and garden 1 croft of 2 a. 30 20  4 5  0
John Jackson John Urpeth, formerly Thomas Womprey 1 messuage and garden 1 croft of 4 a. 30 20  4 5  0
John Clay - 1 messuage and garden 1 croft of 4 a. 30 20  4 5  0
Thomas Clarke John Patterson 1 messuage and garden 1 croft of 4 a. 30 20  4 5  0
Thomas Robinson John, his father 1 messuage and garden
1  tenement and garden
1 croft of 2 a., 1 close of a., 1 croft of 1 a. r. 30 20  4 5  0
Robert Turner Robert Johnson 1 messuage and garden 1 croft of 2 a. 30 20  4 5  0
Thomas Hoppyn Robert Lawe 1 messuage and garden 1 croft of 4 a. 30 20  4 5  0
*John Smith Himself 1 messuage and garden 2 crofts of 5 a. 30 20  4 5  0
The Widow of Patterson William Patterson 1 messuage and garden 1 croft of 2 a. 30 20  4 5  0
John Brewster Himself 1 messuage and garden 2 crofts of 4 a. 30 20  4 5  0
Thomas Anderson Himself 1 messuage and garden 1 croft of 2 a. 30 20  4 5  0
Thomas Sharp Humphrey, his father 1 messuage and garden 1 croft of 1 a. 15 10  2 2  10
Thomas Simpson - 1 messuage and garden 1 croft of 2 a. 30 20  4 5  0
Thomas Wright John, his father 1 messuage and garden 1 croft of 2 a. 30 20  4 5  0
             
 
* Also held a cottage with garden.   Also a cottage with garden, and toft with garden.
 

THE SMALLER OR COTTAGE TENANTS N  OF ACKLINGTON IN 1585. N

 

        Rent Fine,
1585
s.  d. .  s.
Thomas Lawson  N 1 cottage 1 croft of 1 a. With land in common fields 2   0 0   10
William Anderson  1 cottage with garden of r.  A moiety of a croft, called 'le Hole' of 1 a. With land in common fields 6   8 2   0
Robert Robinson, son of Robert  1 cottage with garden of r. _ 1 a. of arable land in the common fields, etc. 4   0 1   0
The widow of John Waud 1 cottage with 1 garden of 1 r.  A moiety of a croft, called 'le Hole', of 1 a. 2 a. of land in the common fields. etc. 8   0 2   0
John Simpson and the widow of John Waud 1 close, called 'Howy's close', of 6 a Arable land, meadow, and pasture 6   8 'Nil quia pauper'
George Thewe 1 cottage with garden of 1 r. _ Common of pasture, etc. 3   0 0   15
Edward Smales 1 cottage _ 2 a. of arable land, in the common field, etc. 8   9 2   0
Widow Haryson. _ 1 parcel of meadow, called  'Lambe meadow', of 2 a. 1 toft 8 selions of arable land in the fields of 3 a. 5   8 'Nil quia pauper' 
           
 

    At a muster of the Middle Marches taken by Sir John Forster at the Moot-law on the 26th of March, 1580, Acklington town was represented by only one able horseman ; N  but at a muster of light horsemen at Abberwickedge on the 24th of November, 1595, there were present eleven footmen.

 

AKLINTON MUSTER ROLL, 1595.  N

 
Jo. Robinson, William Robinson, Jo. Anderson, Robert James, Jo. Clay, Jo. Lawson, and Thomas Robinson, armed with spears and defensive armour. Jo. Righ, furnished with petronel. Tho. Anderson, Rob. Robinson, and Tho. Wright, furnished with spears.
 
 
    At a meeting of the gentlemen of Morpeth ward held at Morpeth in November, 1597, it was agreed that in respect of the outrages by 'our home theaves on the forraine borderers' that the 'plump watche' should be kept in seven places by the gentlemen of the ward. The appointed place of the bailiff of Chevington was at the ' Flower of Cheveley;  N
 
As has been already observed, the rental of 1498 assumes the existence of thirty-five husbandlands in the township, though there were but eighteen tenants. This statement is the only record that has survived of an earlier stage in which, probably for military purposes, a larger number of holdings had been created than the land was able to maintain : a condition which had been reformed by the lord here, as at High Buston, by reducing the number of holdings by one-half, with the result that each tenant, save one, possessed two holdings. The surveys of 1567 and 1585 show the same number of seventeen (practically) co-equal tenements and one of half the extent and value. But all the surveys already quoted yield in interest to that of 1616, so rich is it in minuteness ; each plot, each strip and balk in every field is measured and shown, whether in meadow, pasture, or arable land ; so, also, is the area of each tenant's house and garth.
 

A COLLECTION, WHAT NUMBER OF ACRES EVERY TENANT IN ACKLINGTON HOLDETH, PARTICULERLY WITHIN THE SAID TOWNE AND THE TERRITORIES THEREOF BELONGING TO THEIR SEVERAL TENEMENTS AND COTTAGES  IN 1616.  N

 

Name of Tenant. No. of Tenement. Tenement and Garth. No. of Cottage. Cottages, etc. Meadow, etc. Arable Total
    A.    R.   P.   A.   R   P. A.   R.   P. A.   R.   P. A. R. P.
Humphrey Barker  1 0   1   16 1 0   1   18 0   3   0 42   1   11 45   0   23
1 0   1   10 1    0    8
William Clay 1 0   1   23 - - 1   3    5 38   2   25 40   3   13
Martin Smart 1 0   1   16 - - 1   3    5 33   2   25 35   3    6
John James 1 1   1   0 - - 1   3   15 41   0   23 44   0   38
Lawrence Rishforth 1 0   1   7 - -  1   3   9 40   2   20 42   2   36⅓
John Smith 1  0   1   5 1 0   0   24 1   3   4 40   2   20 42   3   14
Robert Robinson 1 1   0   12 - -  1   1   33 36   3   21 39   1   26
John Robinson 1 1   1   16 - - 1   3   20 39   0   27 42   1   23
William Lee 1 0   1   26 1 0   1   0 2   0   1 40   1   20 43   0   7 
Robert Wompery 1 0   0   35 1 0   1   8 1   3   5 41   3   16 44  0   24
George Hunter
 [pasture 15a. 2r. 16p.]
1 0   3   18 1 0   1   0 4   3    18 42   0   34 63   3   7
Thomas Anderson 1 0   3   37 1 0   1   20 1   2   28 39   3   26 42   3  31
Thomas Wright 1 0   1   28 1 0   2   0 1   2   24 41   0   7 43   2  19
Thomas Horsley 1 0   1   12 - - 1   2   35 39   2   9 41   2  16
Thomas Harper 1 0   1   12 - - 0   3   36 23   2   21 24  3  29
Henry Johnson 1 0   1   18 1 0   2   22 1   2   14 40   0   3 42   2   17
Robert James 1 0   3   6 1 0   2   26 1   2   10 38   1   35 41   2   17
John Robinson, junior 1 0   1   30 1 0   2   8 1   2   29 36   2   35 39   1   22
  18 Some of acres of all the tenements with the cottages and
 lands aforesaid ... ... ..... ... ...
764  1  21
 
 

COTTAGES IN ACKLINGTON, 1616.  N

Name of Tenant Cottage and Garth. Land in the fields. Rough Meadows. Lamb-close Meadow. Total
  A.   R.   P. A.   R.   P. A.   R.   P. A.   R.   P. A.   R.   P.
Robert Taylor 0    1   7 7   0   9 - - 7   1   16
John Wand 0    0   12 6   3   8 - - 6   3   20
John Greeves 0    0   12 7   0   16 - - 7   0   28
John Smales 1    1   36 7   2   25 - - 9   0   21
Thomas Robinson 0    0   22 10   1   8 0   1   20 0   3   30 11   3   0
Roger Womperey 0    0   22 - - - 0   0   22
George Thew 0    1   0 1   0   13 - - 1   1   13
  43   3   1
 
 
 The commons there bee great and lardge but soffiewhat barren, and part thereof may bee inclosed as well for the benefitt of the tenants as proffit to the lord, as the pasture ground called Whorlton Carre, lying at the north-east corner of Acklington parke. A parcell of ground called Cheyfley and a parcell of rotton mossie ground lying betwixt the east corner of the south-east end of the same parke to the parke gate, and as the high street called Warkworth way goeth, for that they bee eyther eaten with the cattell of other townes or else to little or noe commoditie for his lordship's tenants.  N
 

    The acreage of Acklington and Acklington park in 1616 was stated to be :  N

 
  A.    R.    P.
The lands held by 18 tenants ... ... 764    1    21
Do.        7 cottage holders ... ... ... 43    3    1
The common pasture and wastes ... 1,169    0  24
Acklington park ... 2,691  2   4
 
    A comparison of the last tables with those of the earlier surveys will show ' that the differences in the size of the holdings, when measured, was much greater than was imagined to be when the survey was made only by the eye.  N
    Before the end of the seventeenth century an important modification had taken place ; for, though the survey of 1702 shows that the number of farms was maintained at seventeen and a half, besides the cott/rs' lands, the township had been divided into the ' north side,' which comprised eight and a half farms, and the ' south side,' which comprised nine farms. This survey notes that;
 
    This towne of Acklington consisteth in seventeen farmes and a halfe, besides severall coatlands, . . . there farmes are lately divided ; they have a coale myne in their grounds, but noe lymestone but what they fetch five myles off; there houses are all in good repaire, and there tenements are worth about 25 per annum, being improved . . . the south parte of this towne is better by 20s. per annum then the north syde.
 

ACKLINGTON, TENANTS AT WILL, 1702.  N

Tenants at Will. Tenements Date of Lease Rent Rack

 

   s   d     s

South side

   

Thomas Harper, late Robinson

1 - 4   0   0 25   0

William Lee, late Robinson

1 - 4   0   0 25   0

William Lee, late John Lee

1 - 4   0   0 25   0

Robert Smart, late Robert Smart

1 - 3   6   8 25   0

Executors of William Clay

1 - 3   6   8 25   0

Philip Womphrey

1 - 3   1   0 25   0

Thomas James, late John James, a cottage house and iii riggs

1 - 3   10   0 25   10

Thomas and Elizabeth Taylor

1 1697 3   6   8 50   0

Elizabeth Taylor and Thomas her son

1 1680 3   6   8

North side :

   

George Robinson, late John Robinson

1 - 4   0   0 25   0

Mr. Stephen Palfrey,  N a tenement, late Hunter's, Howey's-close, and Lamb-close meadow

  1688 3   0   0 25   0

Thomas Appleby

1 1697 4   0   0 25   0

Jane James, late Stephen Muschampes  N

1 - 2   10   0 25   0

Thomas James, late Roger Stawpert

1 - 4   0   0 25   0

Thomas Anderson, late John Anderson

1 - 4   0   0 25   0

William Horsley

1 1699 4   0   0 25   0

Bartholomew Wright

 1 - 3   6   8 25  0

Philip Womphrey

- 2   0   0 12  0
         
 
 

ACKLINGTON, COTTAGE TENANTS AT WILL, 1702.  N

 Tenants        Holding Rent Rack
  .   s.   d. .   s.   d.
Robert Smales, late Thomas Smales A cottage 1   6   8 3  0    0
Roger Muschampe A cottage and land called Lamb's land 1   0   0 3  10  0
Thomas Harper, late Simpson A cottage 1   0   0 2  10  0
Mabell Barker A cottage 0   13   4 1   10   0
Roger Grey A cottage 1   0   0 3   0   0
Thomas Wood, late Roger Taylor A house and garth and four riggs 0   8   0 1   0   0
John Harkas A small cottage 0   9   0 0   13   4
Stephen Palfrey, Roger Muschampe
Stawart, etc
For Wholeshawes 2   0   0 6   0   0
 
 
  `Idem tenantes inter omnes' hold a parcell of ground called Sheaveley, nuper Mr. Whitehead, at 2li. per annum ; but, being part of the tenements aforesaid, which they could not want, it was restored.
   `Mr. Henry Whitehead, the coale myne.'
   ` The nine farms on the south syde' have the Coal-close and the west of the Coatlands, which are intermixed, 1,059 acres 3 roods 301 perches ; which doth reach to each farme 114 acres 0 roods 3 perches.
    `The eight farms and a half' have the Hunter-coat closes, the other two coat closes, the rest of the coatlands, which are intermixed in the infield lands on  the north syde ; 889 acres 1 rood 7 perches, which doth reach for each farme 101 acres, and for the halfe farme 50 acres 2 roods.   N  
 
Warburton, writing about the year 1715, describes Acklington as 'a large village,' and speaks of a colliery in the township. The following inventory from the registry at Durham affords a view of the agricultural and household possessions of a tenant of the period :
 
    1700, 5th April. Inventory of the goods, movable and immovable, of Margaret Clay of Acklington.
     Imprimis : 4 oxen, 10 ; 6 kine, 16 ; 3 bull'd quies, 7 ; 3 unbull'd quies, 4 ; 2 stears, 3 ; 2 year-olds, 1 10s. ; 1 year-old, 15s. ; 2 mares, 5 ; 2 swine, 1 8s. ; 20 ews and 15 lambs, 7 6s. ; 6 sheep hogs, 1 4s. ; all ye implyments of husbandry, valued to 3 (viz., 1 pair of wheels, 1 long wayn, 1 short wayn, 4 yokes, 1 soame, a pair of horse gear, 1 horse harrow, 1 ox harrow, plow and irons, 2 bolts and shekles) ; bigg unsold, valued to 3 6s. 8d. ; pees unsold, valued to 16s. ; wheat sown valued to 5 8s. ; rie sown, valued to 1 ; oats sown, valued to 7 ; pees sown, valued to 1 ; bigg sown, valued to 4 ; 10 bonds from Ed. Hutton, at 3 15s. per bond, 37 10s. ; William Lee, indebted 3 18s. 6d. ; George Hair, indebted 2 2s. 5d. ; Roger Gray, indebted 1 ; Thomas Applebee, indebted 17s. ; Mrs. Watson of Morpeth, indebted 3 1s. 4d. ; household stuff, apprised to 15* Totall, 146  2s. 11d.

*:  2 Household plenishings : 2 cupboards, 2 tables, 3 chores, 3 joynt stooles, 4 bedsteads, 5 chests, 2 feather beds, 2 other beds, 3 suits of curtains, 2 rugs, 2 coverletts, 5 blanketts, 4 pair of linen sheats, 7 pair of course sheats, 1 odd, 4 long bolsters, 6 short bolsters (all these stuft with feathers), 7 happens, 1 diper table cloth, a duzen of diper napkins, 1 plain table cloth, 6 course napkins, 1 dozen of huggaback napkins, 9 pewter dishes, 6 pewter plates, 6 pewter porringers, 3 pewter candlesticks, 2 pewter tankets, pewter flaggon, 2 pewter cupps, 1 pewter quart, 1 pewter chamber pott, 2 pewter salts, one duzen and spoons, 4 cheany dishes, 6 cheany plates, 3 cheany porringers, a dropping pan, a bason, 1 pair of beaf forks, 1 pair of winters, 1 pair of toasting irons, 1 dozen of trenchers, 2 kettles, 2 iron potts. 1 yettling, 2 panns, 1 frying pan, 6 milck bowlls, 3 milck tubs, 1 cheese tub, 4 pitchers, 6 cheese fatts, 2 chirns, 2 washing tubs, 6 other tubs, 4 stands, 1 pair of silk timses, 2 pair of hair timses, a pair of linn window curtains, a woollen wheel, a pair of woollen cards, a lint wheel, a pair of tow cards, 1 small heckle, 5 wallets, a winnowing cloth, a hedging spade, 1 ax, 2 bows, 1 lymestone hamer, 3 pitch forks, 3 pair of wayn blades unmade, 4 pair of new stings, 5 axle trees, 3 dormins, 4 couple of ciles, 2 plow beams, 2 square plow beams, 2 pieces of oak, 4 square sticks two yards long, 12 fellyes, 2 sticks for-four wain heads, 1 wayn unmade out, 13 pieces of oak and ash, 4 wain busks, 1 bee hyve, I muck how ; 20 futher of lymestones, to be left for the use of the heiress. Rev. John Hodgson's Collection.

 

   During the seventeenth century the old system of holding land by copy of court roll was discontinued, and was replaced by the system of leases for a term of years. Under the former, the tenant paid an inelastic and generally inconsiderable yearly rent, and on admittance, change of tenancy, and at customary periods, a not inconsiderable fine ; the onus of repairs and improvements falling upon him. The newer or reformed system retained for a time the practice of paying a fine or valuable consideration for the granting of the lease with a low yearly rent, but permitted the re-adjustment of boundaries and the re-grouping of holdings, whilst the burden of the cost of buildings, etc., was shifted from the tenant to the landlord.

 

APPLEBY OF ACKLINGTON, STURTON GRANGE, EASTFIELD, AND LOW BUSTON.

 
(a) Warkworth Register. (e) Enrolment of Leases, Duke of Northumberland's MSS.
(b) M.I., Warkworth. (f) Eastfield Deeds.
(c) Newcastle Courant, 2nd July, 1803. (g) Low Buston Deeds.
(d) Felton Register. (h) Shilbottle Register.
 
1647, 2nd June. William Brown and Mary Appleby of Warkworth parish married. Woodhorn Register.
 
 
 

    At the end of the eighteenth century there were eleven tenants, who, with the cottars, held the ancient farms amongst them in the following proportion :

 

THE TOWNSHIP OF ACKLINGTON, 18 FARMS.  N

 
William Harper, 4 farms ; Henry Grey, 3 farms ; Thomas Appleby, 2 farms ; John Womphry, 1 farms ; Mrs. Grumble, 1 farm ; John Henderson, 1 farm ; George Robinson, 1 farm ; Thomas Anderson, 1 farm ; Henry Horsley, 1 farm ; John Appleby, 1 farm ; Field-house, 1 farm ; Coatlands, farm. Total number of farms in Acklington, 18.
 
 

    At a later time these ancient holdings became grouped into the farms called or known as Chester-house, Cavil-head, Whirleshaws, Field-house, the Town-farm, Coal-houses, and Chievely.
    The hamlet of Acklington, which stands in the midst of the township, long bore an unenviable reputation in the parish and neighbourhood for the dealings of certain of its inhabitants in the magic arts. Stories still linger of their belief in, and practice of, that species of witchcraft termed invultation, by which the life, death, or suffering of an enemy was attempted by means of a figure in which pins were stuck, or which was roasted 'before a fire at night within barred doors and closed and darkened window'. N
    The townships of Acklington and Acklington park were, by an Order in Council, severed from the parish of Warkworth in 1859, N and, together with the extra-parochial chapelry of Brainshaugh or Guyzance, were constituted an ecclesiastical parish or district, the advowson of which church or the presentation of its minister or perpetual curate was vested in the duke of Northumberland, the sole owner of both of the townships and the owner of a considerable portion of the chapelry. A chapel dedicated to St. John, now the parish church of the new district, was built in 1861 from designs by Mr. James Deason. The benefice is endowed with a parsonage house and with the great tithes of the township of Acklington, parcel of the rectory of Warkworth.

 

INCUMBENTS.

1860. Henry E. Miles, M.A., of Magdalen college, Cambridge, previously incumbent of Rock and Rennington, and subsequently rector of Huntley, Gloucester.
1866. George Selby Thompson, M.A. (son of Charles Thompson, sometime curate of Howick), died 29th July, 1886, aged 77 ; buried at Howick.
1886. William Rudge, ordered deacon and licensed to curacy of Higham Ferrers, 1874. Incumbent of Lucker, 1883-1886.
 
 
 
 

 

TOWNSHIP OF ACKLINGTON PARK.

    The township of Acklington park has an area of 794 acres and a frontage upon the right bank of the Coquet of nearly two miles and a half. At the census of 1891 there was a population of 76. N
    The park has been from a very early period attached to the castle of Warkworth, and it is possible that it may in part represent the lord's demesne land within the lordship of Acklington. So far as has been discovered, it is first mentioned in the year 1248, when it is described as a ' park having a circuit of four leagues (leucae), N in which are at this time, according to estimation, seven score beasts, to wit, young stags and fawns ; but no buck (damus) is to be found there ; and there are seven or eight hinds (bisce) and one hart (cervus) of two or three years of age. There are, besides, two little woods, the herbage of which is common pasture to the vill of Aclintone.' The tenants of Acklington were entitled to housebote and haibote, to be delivered to them by the forester.  N
    In 1309 the park was found to contain nothing except wild animals, and its herbage, besides the sustenance of the wild animals and the keeping of the enclosure (custus clausturae ejusdem parci), was worth 20s.N  In 1352 the herbage was worth 30s. a year, N but sixteen years later it was only worth 13s. 4d.  N
    At the end of the fifteenth century there is mentioned a close 'juxta Aclyngton park' called 'heremyt fall,N for which, about the year 1499, James Katerall paid a rent of 6s. 8d. a year, his sureties being John Brockett and Robert Crawcester of Guysyns. N Caterall was the ' parker ' or park keeper, and as such was paid a wage or fee of 60s. 8d.

 
 
    1472. Account of the vicar of Warkeworth, farmer N of Aklyngton park for the year ending 29th September. Arrears, nil. Farm of the park leased to the accountant for seven years, of which this year is the sixth, 66s. 3d. Farm of 7 acres of meadow within the park called 'Hermet-fall' held by the accountant, 6s. 8d. No sale of 'topp et cropp' of trees cut down for palings, and rails.   Received from the grieve of Aklyngton for full payment 'stipendiorum diversorum operariorum super clausura predicti parci,' 20s. 9d. Sum, 4 14s. 1d Of which : In making 26 rods of new paling for the said park by William Mayle and other tenants of Aklington, hired for the same at 6d. a rod, 13s. ; in 60 rods of old paling removed in various places in the park at 2d. a rod, 10s. ; in 5 score 'postes' newly made and placed in the said paling at d. each, 4s. 6d.; in 78 'rayles' made and placed in the said paling at 1d. each, 6s. 6d. ; in 155 struwys N made and placed in the said paling at d. each, 3s. 7d. ; in making 140 rods 'novi fossati spinis plantati ' on the south of the park by Richard Theker and his companions, hired for the same at 3d. a rod, 35s.; paid to various men making 86 posts, 152 rails 'situat super landam infra dictum parcum' for reserving a separate pasture for deer in winter 'in grosso,' 10s. 9d.; in carriage of the said paling at various places in the park in various waggons hired for the same, 3s. 4d.; in removing 26 rods of old paling on the south of the park at 2d., 4s. 4d. ; in 6 rods of new paling made at 6d. a rod, 3s. Sum, 4 14s. ld.  N
   
1480. Delivered to John Harbotell, esquire, receiver, by hand of Thomas Alnwyk, scholar of Oxford, assigned to him by the lord's warrant for his exhibition there, 4. N
   1486. Farm of the park from 29th September to the 25th March beyond agistment of the cattle of Master William Percy, the lord's son, 29s. 3d. ; farm or profit of agistment from the 25th March to the 29th September, not answered for because reserved in the lord's hand by his especial order for pasture for his deer and cattle ; farm of 7 acres of meadow west of the park called 'Ermetfall,' 6s. 8d.  N
    1487. Price of four bulls sold by the lord's order, 25s. 10d. Paid for new making . . rods of paling round the park, bying timber in Medylwod for the same work, carriage of the same, and other necessaries pertaining thereto, as is contained in a bill of particulars, 15 12s. 8d. ; paid for repair and maintaining of the hedge round ' le Fyrth' within the parke by the lord's order, 3s. 9d.  N
 

   In the bailiffs' accounts of 1506 there is an allowance of 10s. made for the agistment of 16 'catallorum silvestrorum ' of Master William Percy, esquire, the lord's brother, viz., ' one bull, five cows, six stirkett (of which four are male and two female), and four calves: N In 'a description and gross valuation of all the castle, rents, and farms, etc., and numbers of able men to serve the king, conveyed to King Henry VIII. by the earl of Northumberland' the surveyor says :

 
   Also there ys another parke called Acklyngton parke, conteyneng by estmacon iiii myles aboute, and the pale ys in metely good state of reparacions, and there ys viewed to be in the same parke upon this survey over and besydes byrche, alders, and other wood good for fewell, in okes greate and smalle 600 (DC) valued at xxli ; fallow dere lx. N
 

    In 1512 there were 144 fallow deer in Acklington park, classified under the heads of  'ant. liii, rascall lxx, faunez xxi,' and in the following year there were about the same number, viz., 'ant. xlvii, rascall iiiixx faunez xvii,' making 147 in all. N
   Thomas Huntley, the under keeper of Acklington park, appeared 'able with horse and harnes' at the muster taken in 1538. N Robert Horsley of Acklington, who was one of the gentlemen appointed in 1552 to be commissioner in the Middle Marches for the district extending from the sea to the street between the Coquet and the Wansbeck, N may possibly have been the person who, twenty years before, was appointed keeper of the gates of Warkworth castle.  As parker of Acklington in 1562 he enjoyed a fee of 3 0s. 8d. per year N  'George Horsley of Acklington parke, gent.,' having taken a prominent part in the Earls' Rebellion of 1569 was by name included in the Act of Attainder. N  Margaret, daughter of Robert Horsley, became wife of Thomas Lisle of Hazon, and it is possible that he may have been the ancestor of the family of Horsley of Morwick.  N

 
   1584. 'A breyfe note of the profyttes' of Acklington park, 'sett downe as they ryse (prima facie) without any kepers', palisters', or geysters' fee, repayringe of any pailes, railes, yates, lockes, quicksettes, scouringe of ditches, or other repryses deducted' for seven years from Michaelmas, 1577, to Michaelmas, 1584. The first year of the period yielded 9 8s. 10d.; the second, 9 0s. 8d.; the third, 9 3s. 4d. ; the fourth, 9; the fifth, 8 15s. 4d.; the sixth, when the park was let to George Horsley, 6; and the seventh, 9 2s. 3d.  N
    The tenants and inhabitants of Thirston paid yearly at Christmas to the keeper of Acklington park a hen termed a 'wod henne,' supposed for suffering them to have and take wodd in his lordship's park at Acklington.  N
 

The park was well timbered with forest trees, as is shown in the survey made in 1585 :

 
   There is estimated to be in the said parke of oke trees 2,000 and of asshe trees 300, valued at 783 10s. In the purlues of the said parke is estimated to be 1,500 of small oke trees, valued at 160, and of byrkes and other underwoodes there valued at 300. Between the paile and the water is estimated to be 40 okes, 50 ashes, and 33 elmes, with other underwoodes valued at 140. Total,  1,383 10s.  N
 
There is a curious valuation of the park made in 1608 :
 
    Ackington (sic) parke demysed to one Harbottell in the kynge's tyme, when the landes were in hys majestye's handes, and th'old rentt then was per annum vli. vis. viiid., which ys th'old rentt ; and now being in the lord's handes hytt hathe be adjoysted unto, and all that wold ryse that waye for the lord's profytt was not above ixli. yerly, as th'audyttores' bookes do showe : The keeper's fees per annum, iiili, viiid. ; the pallester's fees per annum, xxs.; the charges of all the new paaling, 0.
   So you may see the great cleare gaynes yerly that cloth comeeth (sic) in, and yett I wold have you to desyre hyt of th'old rentt without eny fyne yf hyt wylbe hadd, which me thynkes shuld not styke at the thyng being not muche. Yf hytt wyll not be hadd, offer a fyne as muche, or as lytle, as you wyll, so as hyt exceed nott above C markes. But me thynkes yf he wyll needes have a fyne he shuld not aske of you above 30 or 40li. But the better cheap you gett hyt the better shalbe for your sellfe. Gyve no more rentt for this park of Aklyngton but th'old rentt in eny wyse, for else small pleasure ys hytt by haveyng therof.
 Be earnest, I pray you. N
 
The survey of 1616 states that :
 
   Me lord hath there a parke called Acklington parke very well scited for strength and safeguard of the game, and a parkly ground well replenished and sett both with rammell wood and good tymber of oke. The said parke conteyneth, by estimation [blank] acres, the soyle whereof is reasonable good, but the deare are all destroyed, and the herbage thereof is demised to George Whitehead, gent. N
   Lawrence Rishforth holdeth by assignment from George Whitehead, gent., the moyety of the parke of Acklington, . . . . 361 acres 3 roods 24 perches. Henry Whitehead holdeth also by assignment, as it is said, from the said George Whitehead the other moytie of the said parke, . . . . 352 acres 1 rood 11 perches. Some totall of all the said park, 714 acres 0 roods 36 perches. N
 

    In the bailiffs' account of 1602 there is entered the account of Johr Rushforth, farmer of Acklington park, the herbage of which he seems to have held under the lease granted to Roger Thorpe for the term of his life. N As a tenant from Ogle, Lawrence Rushforth appeared at the muster taken on Clifton field on the 24th of November, 1595, duly furnished and mounted on a black horse with a white star. N In 1616 he held one of the eighteen customary holdings or farms in Acklington.
    In 1629 Laurence Rushforth of Acklington park was confined in Morpeth gaol for a debt of 100 and 10 costs at the suit of Marmaduke Macholl. N His chief claim to be noticed is through his son, John Rushforth, or Rushworth, the indefatigable collector and antiquary, sometime recorder and M.P. for Berwick, who is stated to have been born at Acklington park about the year 1608. N As one of the clerks of the House of Commons, John Rushworth was present at that stirring scene in the Long Parliament when King Charles I. came down to arrest the five members, and he it was who took down the speech made on that occasion.

 

RUSHWORTH (OR RUSHFORTH) OF ACKLINGTON PARK.

 
Rushworth Pedigree
 
(a)  Ex inf. Mr. G. McN. Rushforth of Oriel college, Oxon., who has furnished many of the proofs of the pedigree. Cf. also Hunter, Familiae Minorum Gentium, Harl. Soc. p. 420, Dictionary of Nat. Biography, etc.
(b)  Cf. Yorkshire Arms and Descents, Harl. MS, No. 4198.
(c)  Dodsworth MSS. vol. 45, f. 112 b.
(d)  Dugdale's Visitation of Westmorland, also Pedigrees of Yorkshire Families; Brit. Museum, Add. MSS. No. 32116, f. 32.
(e)  Foster, Alumni Oxonienses.
(f)  Scott, Hist. of Berwick, p. 475.
(g) Surtees, Durham, ii. pp. 146, 150.
(h) Marriage Licences, Harl. Soc. vol. 24, p. 77.
(i)  Ibid. vol. 23, p. 138.
(k) Cf. Notes and Queries, 2nd series, xi. (1861), p. 263.
(m) Duke of Portland's MSS. ; Hist. MSS. Com. 13th Report, app. pt. ii. p. 164.
(n)  Records of Lincoln's Inn (pub. 1896), i. p. 244.
 
 
    In 1680 Acklington park with 631 acres was granted on lease to Joseph Ashurst, at a rent of 64 ; apparently he paid a fine of 120. N He appears to have sublet to John Cook of Togston, who, in 1685, paid 2s. for one half-year's duty for two fire hearths in his house in Acklington park, one of which, as was certified by the collector of hearth dues in December of that year, was subsequently demolished. N Cook N died in 1710, and by his will gave 500 to his son Christopher, who seems to have also succeeded to the tenancy of Acklington park. The latter was married within Brainshaugh chapel on the 6th of July, 1721, N to his kinswoman, Ann Cook of Brainshaugh, and was buried at Warkworth on the 26th of April, 1733. N His widow was buried at the same place on the 2nd of July, 1746. N Of the three daughters born of the marriage, Anne was married on the 21st of April, 1746, N to William Hudson, a brazier and tinplate worker at the 'Foot' of the Side in Newcastle, who, in 1747, had the disposal of the goodwill of the lease of Acklington park. N
 
    The rural calm of Acklington park was broken in the year 1775, when a firm of speculators, attracted by the unfailing water-power of the Coquet, acquired a lease of land from the duke of Northumberland with liberty to erect a foundry for the manufacture of tin and iron. By leases granted by John Archbold of Acton and Edward Cook of Brainshaugh, the promoters acquired powers to erect a weir or dam across the Coquet, and to impound its waters against the lands of the grantors. N The dam, engineered by Smeaton, N was built of ` firm, close stone,' and pounded `the water so high as to cause upwards of 15 feet head and fall at the wheels ' of the works, and formed ` a pound in the river upwards of 2,000 yards long and 60 yards wide.'
    Handicapped by distance from market the works, with an unexpired lease of forty-five years, were advertised in 1791 to be sold. They might ` be employed alternately one week in rolling tin and next in rolling half blooms'; there was at Warkworth `a warehouse' N and shipping place where at spring tides there is water sufficient for vessels drawing from 8 to 9 feet of water.' Application was to be made to Mr. George Kendal at the premises, Mr. Edward Kendal of Beaufort Forge, near Abergavenny, or to Mr. Jonathan Kendal at Swansea. N
    The premises were purchased by John Reed, a woollen draper in the Groat Market, Newcastle, who, in the Newcastle papers of 1796, was advertising for weavers for the woollen manufactory at Acklington, N and a year later advertised that as he was retiring from the retail trade, wholesale customers should address their letters to his `warehouse, near the White Cross, Newcastle, or to the manufactory at Acklington park.' N
Reed disposed of the works in 1828 N to David Thompson, a Galashiels manufacturer, a neighbour and correspondent of Sir Walter Scott, and himself a versifier. In his family the manufactory remained, and was carried on till 1884, when it was finally discontinued.
    The bridge was built across the Coquet about 1865.
 
 

St John's Church Acklington, Northumberland

St John's Church, built is 1861 to serve the newly formed parish of Acklington.

 
 
 
Gallery of modern images of Acklington and Acklington Park townships.
.....Click to enlarge.....
Acklington Parish Church Parish Church Lich Gate Inscription Acklington Village Hall
       
 
Acklington Village The Railway Inn Acklington  
       
 
Acklington Auction Mart   Acklington road bridge east coast main line. Acklington School
       
  
Rail bridge at Rake Lane, Acklington. Victorian, but now reinforced with modern concrete buttresses The east coast main rail line just north of Acklington. Parallel with this for a short distance here is part of a DEFRA conservation bridleway,  in this picture with "Geordie" out for a stroll on it with his owner. Cavil Head  
       
The iron works/ woollen mill main building. Now private residential property. The weir The weir, panorama. Also see: Guyzance tragedy.
 

images www.fusilier.co.uk 2010 home