Amble and District
     Local History



The Amble and District Mining Memorial

Acklington Broomhill Hauxley Longframlington
Newburgh Newton Radcliffe Shilbottle
Togston Whittle Other Collieries  


AINSLEY Samuel 1914
BAXTER James 1899
BEVERLEY Charles 1900
CLARKE William 1898
DAWSON George 1907
DOUGLAS Samuel 1906
ERSKINE Robert T. B. 1901
FERGUSON John James 1907
GUSTARD William M. 1908
HARDY John 1895
HEDLEY Andrew 1894
HOOKE Browell R. 1914
HUME Stephen 1914
MITCHELL James 1893
MONTGOMERY Robert 1908
O’KEEFE Nicholas 1896
PAYNE Peter J. 1924
THOMPSON George 1899
TURNBULL Catherine 1914
TURNBULL Thomas D. 1914
TURNER William D. 1913
WHITE David John 1918
WILLIAMS Frederick W 1914


Samuel Ainsley

Died 16 August 1914

Chargeman, aged 52 years, of Amble.
 Buried West Cemetery, Amble, 19 August “killed at Newburgh Colliery” (Grave Plot 231B)
     At the 1911 census, Samuel, born at Norham, is a stoneman, living with his wife, Jane, at Woodbine Cottage, Amble. They have had 3 children, all of whom have died.

 Newcastle Journal, 18 August 1914
    “A serious accident occurred at Newburgh Colliery on Sunday night, as a result of which two men lost their lives and a third was injured.
     The accident is supposed to have been caused through an explosion of gas, and the chargeman, Samuel Ainsley was instantaneously killed. The other men who were with Ainsley were Stephen Hume, of Radcliffe, and D. Pringle, of Warkworth. The former received injuries about the head and body, and was brought to the Royal Infirmary, Newcastle yesterday.
      Pringle’s injuries were not of a serious character, he having received slight wounds about the head. Ainsley was 52 years of age, and leaves a widow. He belonged to Amble.
      Hume succumbed to his injuries last night.”

Newcastle Journal, 21 August 1914
   “The adjourned inquest, on Samuel Ainsley, a miner at Newburgh Colliery, who was killed by an explosion of gas on Sunday night last, was concluded before Mr Charles Percy, Coroner, at Amble yesterday.
     Mr T. Askley, Inspector of Mines; Mr Alan Morison, manager of Broomhill Collieries; and Messrs W. Emmerson and W. Wallace, representing the Miners’ Union, were present.
     The evidence was to the effect that the deceased, Stephen Hume, and William Pringle went into that part of the pit known as the narrow board. Ainsley and Pringle had safety lamps, but Hume had a naked light. Hume and Ainsley had gone into the place first. Pringle, who was a little way behind, said he saw the place light up, and then there was an explosion. Witness saw Hume’s two brothers carrying Hume out, and some others carrying Ainsley. The latter only lived a minute or two after being brought out.
    Other evidence was given, and a verdict was returned that death was due to an accidental explosion of gas.”


James Henry Baxter

 Died 23 January 1899

Aged 37 years, of Radcliffe.
 Buried East Cemetery, Amble, 25 January. (Grave Plot F29)

Shields Daily Gazette, 25 January 1899

     “Yesterday afternoon, Mr. Charles Percy, coroner for North Northumberland, held an inquest at the Radcliffe Arms, Radcliffe, touching the death of James Henry Baxter, miner, aged 37 years. Mr. Dugal Band represented the Radcliffe Coal Co. Ltd., and Mr Hedley, Inspector of Mines, was also present. Evidence was given which showed that the deceased on Nov. 11th was working in the Princess Seam of the Big Pit when a large quantity of band stone gave way, causing injuries from which deceased died on Monday last. A verdict of “Death from injuries, accidentally received,” was returned.”


Charles Burn Shipley Beverley

Died 15 February 1900
Aged 40 years, of Radcliffe.
 Buried East Cemetery, Amble, 18 February (Grave Plot E52)
     At the 1891 census, Charles, born at Radcliffe, is living with his wife, Jane, in Radcliffe. At the time of his death he has three young children. His only son would be killed in WW1 in 1915.

Morpeth Herald, 24 February 1900
    “Mr. Chas. Percy, Coroner for North Northumberland, held an inquest at the Radcliffe Arms, Radcliffe, on Saturday, on the body of Charles Burn Shipley Scott Beverley, a miner who lived at Radcliffe, 40 years of age, whose death took place under the following circumstances: -
Thomas Beverley, miner, deposed that deceased was his cousin, and lived at Radcliffe. He was 40 years of age. On Thursday, the 15th inst., I saw deceased in my house about 4 p.m. There was then a terrible storm of wind and snow. He was going to the pay office, to get to which he had to go along the railway side on which there is a good footpath. There is no rail between the footpath and the railway. It is a private path, made solely for the convenience of the men to go to work.
    Robert Moffatt, miner, Radcliffe, deposed that on Thursday he was at the pay office between 4 and 5 o’clock p.m. On coming home by the footpath on the side of the line I found the deceased lying in the middle of the railway, his feet lying across. I stood a few yards off until George Douglas came. He went to him, and I went to seek his friends. Alexander Pringle came at the same time as Douglas.
    Alexander Pringle, miner, Radcliffe, deposed: On Thursday last I was coming along Radcliffe railway line about 300 yards from the pay office to the village. I there saw Robert Moffatt, and near to him I found the deceased lying between the rails on the line side. I went to him, and found him sensible. He said he thought he had got a bat on the arm. He was bleeding from the head, and seemed dazed. His arm was hurt. He said nothing more. I got him home. He walked with assistance. The doctor was sent for at once. The engine was going to the pit with waggons in front when I came down. I heard the engine whistle blow.
    William Smyth, physician and surgeon practising at Amble, deposed: On the 15th inst., I saw deceased at 5.20 p.m. I found his left arm had a compound fracture, and three large wounds at the front of the head. The ribs were broken, and the lungs perforated. He was suffering from shock. I think he was accidentally run over by a train. He died the same night from shock, the result of his injuries.
The jury found a verdict accordingly.”


William Clarke

Died 1 March 1898

Aged 40 years, of Percy Street, Amble.
 Buried East Cemetery, Amble, 3 March (Grave Plot P83)
    At the 1891 census, William, born at Lambourne, Essex, is a timekeeper, lodging in the household of Elizabeth Smith, in 9 Gibson Street, Amble. He is a bachelor.

Alnwick and County Gazette, 5 March 1898
   “On Wednesday, Mr. C. Percy, coroner, held an inquest at the Schooner Inn, Amble, on the body of William Clark, aged 40 years.
– James Smith, miner, Amble, stated that deceased lodged with him. He was employed as a shifter at Radcliffe Colliery. He went to work on Tuesday at 2.45 a.m. He was brought home about 8 a.m., killed. He was badly cut about the head and the backside of the neck.
- Thomas Allsop**, Radcliffe, stated that on Tuesday about 4 a.m., he was working in the east winnings redding a fall of stone. Deceased was working with him. They filled three tubs full of stone, and they had an empty one in front. The pony drawing was attached to the front tub. He (deceased) got into the front empty tub to ride out bye. The pony went on, he (deceased) driving, and he (witness) walking behind. He went faster than he. When he got to the shaft he found the deceased sitting about six feet from the cage site. He was quite dead. One arm was around a back pillar. He was badly injured. He was sorely cut at the back of the neck and about the head. The left side of his head was fast against the limber. The pony was lying in front of him. It was not then injured. He thought the pony, must have slipped. He must then have got out of the tub to try and keep the tubs back, and he had slipped it and caught his head. He had reins, but he should not have rode on the tub set. He (witness) knew there was a rule published on the pit heap prohibiting any person from riding on the tub set unless authorised. Only the driver should do this. He was the only one there, and he gave the alarm and got the deceased removed.
Thomas Gowans also gave evidence. – A verdict of accidental death was returned.”

**Thomas Allsop was killed at Broomhill Colliery in 1915.



David Walters Cuthbertson

Died 4 March 1904 (accident 25 February 1904)

Aged 54 years, of High Street, Amble.
 Buried East Cemetery, Amble, 6 March. (Grave Plot X38)
    At the 1901 census, David, born at North Sunderland, is a hewer, living in High Street, Amble, with his wife, Catherine, and 9 children.

Morpeth Herald, 12 March 1904
    “Mr. Chas. Percy, Coroner for North Northumberland, held an inquiry at the Station Hotel, Amble, touching the death of a man named David Cuthbertson, a miner belonging to Amble, and working at Radcliffe Colliery. The Inspector of Mines was present, also Mr. J. Flint, representing the Broomhill Collieries, Limited. The first witness called was William Cuthbertson, who said he was a miner living at Amble. The deceased, David Cuthbertson, was his father. He was a miner working at Radcliffe Colliery, and living at Amble. Deceased was 54 years of age. Witness lived with his father, who had had an accident in the house about a month ago. He slipped when getting out of bed. He (witness) went in and found him lying on the floor. His mother was in the kitchen, and they all found when they went into his room that he had fallen out of bed and hurt himself on his side. He said he had been going to get up and had fallen. A doctor was sent for a day or two after. In consequence of the accident he was off work three weeks and two days. He started again, and worked two days, that was on Thursday, 25th ult. He (witness) was going into the colliery, and his father was coming out. He asked him what he was out before his time for, and deceased told him he had made a false bat with his pick and hurt his shoulder, He saw him that night, and he told witness he had reported the accident to the deputy, Robert Tate. Dr Stumbles came next morning and attended him until his death, which took place on Friday, 4th inst.
    Robert Tate said he was a deputy overman at Radcliffe Colliery. He remembered the 25th February. Deceased came out of the pit before his time – about 15 minutes. He met him about a quarter of a mile from his work. He spoke to him, and said it was rather quick for him coming out, but deceased said nothing about the accident.
    Dr Stumbles said he was a physician and surgeon at Amble. He first attended deceased on the 5th Feb. last. Deceased told him that in getting out of bed he had struck his ribs on the left side against a chair. He examined him, and found a fracture of the eleventh rib on the left side. He attended him for about 19 days, and he got better. He went to work on the 24th Feb. He was perfectly right for work then. Witness’s assistant attended him again on the 26th ult. He saw him himself the next day. He complained of a loss of power of the left loin and immobility of the left joint, and stiffness of the left side of the neck. Deceased told him that while taking aim at a piece of coal he had missed his stroke, and then felt a sharp pain in his shoulder, and his arm dropped powerless by his side. He also told witness that he felt no ill effects from his previous accident. He examined the shoulder and found it discoloured over the left part about the size of a hand. The joint was greatly swollen and painful to touch. He made it out as a fracture of the shoulder girdle. Next day there were evidences of blood poisoning, which increased all over the chest from the shoulder. Abscesses afterwards appeared, the result, he thought, of the blood poisoning. He died on the 4th inst. from blood poisoning, the result of the accident.
The jury, after a few minutes’ consideration, returned the following verdict:- “That deceased died at Amble on the 4th March from blood poisoning, the result of an accident to his shoulder while working in Radcliffe Colliery on the 25th Feb. last.”


George Dawson

Died 24 November 1907 (accident 17 August 1907)

Aged 49 years, of Radcliffe.
 Buried West Cemetery, Amble, 27 November (Grave Plot 385B)

Morpeth Herald, 30 November 1907
     “Mr Chas. Percy held an inquiry at the Institute, Radcliffe Colliery, into the circumstances attending the death of a man named George Dawson, who was crushed by a fall of stone at Newburgh Colliery on the 17th August last. Mr J. B. Atkinson, Inspector of Mines, and Mr John Flint, manager of the Broomhill Collieries, Limited, were present.
The first witness called was John Dawson, brother of the deceased, who said he was a miner, living at Amble. He knew the deceased to be George Dawson, of Radcliffe, who died at Radcliffe on the 24th. Deceased was aged 49 years. On the 17th of August last, about half-past eight in the morning, he was in Newburgh Colliery with deceased, in the Queen Seam. Deceased was setting timber.
George Gilmore deposed that he was deputy overman at Newburgh, and was working when deceased happened his accident. He was in first between 1 and 2, and examined the place, and next time about 4 o’clock. He knew the roof was bad, and drew John Dawson’s attention to it. There was plenty of timber about. He was out of the place when it happened. He saw the place a few days later, when a good deal more had fallen.
George Hedley, a miner working at Newburgh Colliery, said that on the 17th August, about 8.30 in the morning, the deceased was timbering in the Queen Seam, when the roof came away and injured him. He knew the roof was bad. Everything was done to keep it right. He was 4 feet off. The stone gave no warning. It broke the timber down. It canted two pairs of gears and some props and headtrees. There was a slip at the left side. He was quite aware of the slip, and took all precautions about it. He was the deceased’s cross-marrow. It was about a quarter of an hour before he got him out.
     Charles Wm. Bell, a physician, living at Amble, said he first attended the deceased on the 17th August. He found him to be suffering from a fracture of the spine. He was in Newcastle Infirmary for seven weeks, and returned home. He died on the 24th of November.
The workmen’s report, signed by George Thompson and John Docherty, was to the effect that they had carefully examined the place, and in their opinion it was a very bad and dangerous roof, that through setting this following stone down each night, as was done up to Thursday and Friday before the accident, the place would have been more easily timbered, made more secure, and lessened the risk of such an accident. Their impression was that more stone had fallen between the time of the accident and examination, and had to a considerable extent effaced the scene where the accident occurred. The large quantity of stone probably buried some timber, and they were unable to say whether or not a sufficient quantity was set to make the place secure. He might have been re-setting timber knocked out by shot. The conclusion they came to was that some of the above causes, but they could not definitely say which, were accountable for the accident.
    After the Coroner had summed up, the jury found that deceased’s death was the result of injuries received by a fall of stone.”


Samuel Douglas

Died 6 November 1906 (accident 5 November 1906)

Driver, aged 13 years, of Radclffe.
 Buried West Cemetery, Amble, 8 November (Grave Plot 5J)

     At the 1901 census, Samuel, born at Eglingham, is living in 50 Middleton Street, Amble, with his parents, William, a coal miner, and Elizabeth. He is one of 9 children.

Morpeth Herald, 10 November 1906
     “Dr Clark Burman, deputy coroner for North Northumberland, held an inquiry in the Reading Room, Radcliffe, on Wednesday night, touching the death of Samuel Douglas. Mr Nicholson, inspector of mines, and Mr J. Flint, manager of the Broomhill Collieries, Ltd., were present.
-William Douglas, miner, Long Row, North Radcliffe, said deceased was his son. Deceased was aged 13 years, and he was a driver in the Newburgh pit. Deceased told witness that the pony had crossed over the way and crushed him in between the end of the tub and the limbers. He said he was hurt in the bowels. They got the doctor at once, but deceased got worse, and he died at 3.40 in the morning on the 6th of November. He did not blame anyone for the accident. The pony was a perfectly quiet one.
-John Brown, a miner, 45 High Street, Amble, deposed that on Nov. 5th when working at the shaft bottom of the Newburgh Pit, he saw deceased stop his pony and he tried to loose it off, but could not get the limbers out, so he drove the pony down a little further and it crossed out and crushed him between the limbers and the tub. The limbers were not off then. He heard the boy shout “Oh dear me.” Witness went to the horse’s head and pulled it back into the middle of the way then. He attended to the boy and sat him down in a seat. He said he was sore hurt across the stomach. He sent word to Mr Campbell, and the boy was removed home. The pony was a quiet pony, and there was plenty of room.
-Thomas Campbell, shaftsman, at Newburgh pit, of Dandsfield Place, Radcliffe, said he ran to deceased as soon as he heard him shout. He found the last witness had put the pony in the middle way. He examined the limbers of the tub and he found them all right. There was no reason why they should not have been taken off. The cotterel pin was easily removed. He was quite satisfied it was a pure accident, neither the boy nor anyone else was to blame. He was a careful driver. He had been at the work about a fortnight, and never met with any difficulty before in losing them. – The jury returned a verdict of accidental death.”


Robert Thompson Benn Erskine

Died 4 March 1901

Hewer, aged 26 years, of Hauxley.
 Buried East Cemetery, Amble, 7 March (Grave Plot E79)

     At the 1891 census, Robert, born at Blyth, is a coal miner, living with his widowed mother, Lydia, and two siblings, in Cowpen.
     Robert had married Mary Ann Simpson in 1900. At the 1901 census she is a widow, living with her father and brother in Hauxley.

Shields Daily Gazette, 6 March 1901
     “An accident of a terrible nature occurred at Newburgh Colliery, Radcliffe, on Monday last. About five o’clock a great many men ceased work, and amongst them was a man named Robert Erskine, a hewer, belonging to the little village of Hauxley. He, with other miners, got into the cage, which was drawn to bank. When it arrived there it was found there were only four men instead of the five that had entered the cage previous to its starting. It is conjectured by the other men that Erskine must have been seized with a dizzy bout and fallen out of the cage. At what point they cannot tell, as nothing was heard, nor was he missed until they came into the light. His mangled remains were afterwards found at the bottom of the pit. He was past all recognition. The depth of the shaft is about 80 or 90 fathoms. The deceased was a married man, and leaves a widow to mourn his sad loss. He was only 26 years of age.

Shields Daily Gazette, 15 March 1901
    “Mr Chas. Percy, Coroner for North Northumberland, held an inquiry at Hauxley, into the circumstances attending the death of Robert Thompson Bonn Erskine who met his death b falling down the shaft at Newburgh Colliery. James Armstrong, deputy overman, said he was at the bottom of the shaft when deceased fell. He, along with other men, heard a noise as of something falling. This proved to be a tin tobacco box which had fallen out of his pocket. They stood back a little and his body came down. They then pulled him out, he was quite dead. William English, a miner, said he along with other two men and Erskine, got into the cage to go to bank. The signals were all right for ascending and they started. Just before the cage arrived at the top, deceased appeared to sit down, and in doing so fell to one side, and then fell out of the cage. He thought the accident was due to his simply losing his balance. The jury returned a verdict of “Accidentally killed.””

Morpeth Herald, 23 March 1901 
  “On Wednesday, 13th inst., Mr. Chas. Percy, coroner for North Northumberland, held an adjourned inquiry at Hauxley, into the circumstances attending the death of Robert Thompson Erskine, miner.
William D. Erskine, miner, New Hirst, said deceased was his brother, and worked at Radcliffe Newbrough Colliery. He was 26 years of age.
William Gallon, miner, said:  “I was ascending the shaft on the 4th inst. with deceased and others. I saw deceased when we got close to the surface sit down; he tumbled over to one side, and from the cage down the shaft. I didn’t notice whether he left hold of the cage bar when he sat down. Nothing jerked the cage to cause him to fall. I did not see the deceased after. I am sure no one pushed him or touched him at the moment he fell”.
James Armstrong, deputy overman, Newburgh Colliery, said: “I was at the bottom of the shaft on the 4th inst. about 5.15 p.m. I heard a noise in the shaft, and saw deceased fall down the shaft. He was instantly killed. The shaft is 49 fathoms deep to that seam, I noticed nothing unusual occur before he fell. The men were quite sober when they got into the cage”.
William English, miner, Newburgh Colliery, stated that on the 4th March he was coming up the shaft in the cage with deceased and other men. After the signal we started all right. We got nearly to the top, when deceased appeared to sit down, and fell to one side, and out of the cage to the bottom of the shaft. We gave the alarm at once. There was no jerk, and nothing caught the cage. I think he fell out by pure accident, when he was in the act of sitting down. The cage lifts wooden doors at the top, but he fell out before we reached the top. He fell out of the cage some seconds before it raised the doors.
The jury found a verdict of “Accidental death by falling from an ascending cage in the Newburgh pit, on March 4th, 1901.””


John James Ferguson

Died 9 May 1907 (accident 8 May 1907)

Aged 53 years, of Gordon Street, Amble.
 Buried East Cemetery, Amble 12 May (Grave Plot X93)
     At the 1901 census, John, a hewer, born at Dunston on Tyne, is living in 23 Gordon Street, Amble, with his wife, Annie, and 9 children.

Morpeth Herald, 18 May 1907
    “Mr Charles Percy held an inquiry into the circumstances attending the death of James Ferguson, a miner, working at Newburgh Colliery, aged 53 years. Mr A. D. Nicholson, Inspector of Mines, and Mr J. Flint, manager for the Broomhill Collieries, Ltd., were present.
-Ernest Ferguson, a coal hewer, Amble, said deceased was his father, living in Gordon Street, Amble. On Wednesday last he was told by Robert Wood when going to work that his father had happened an accident. He hastened to the place and found deceased in a sitting posture. He was unconscious and alone. Witness found some cuts upon his head. He heard no shots fired. He died on the following day from his injuries, never having recovered consciousness.
-Robert Wood, a putter at Newburgh Colliery, said that he was putting to the deceased in the Princess Seam about 20 past 10 in the forenoon. Deceased was just then starting to make a hole for a shot. When witness came back he found the deceased lying on his side unconscious. There was a small prop lying over his head, also a quantity of small coal on his arms. There had been a shot fired. He pulled him out from amongst the coal and put him into a sitting position.
-Geo. King, deputy overman, deposed that he examined the place where the accident occurred about 20 minutes to 11. There were signs of a shot having been fired to the right of the pack. There was not much coal away. The pack would be about seven or eight feet away. A small quantity of coal had been brought away with the shot. There were two props knocked out. The shot would do that. The props were about two yards from the shot.
    The following is a copy of the workmen’s report, signed by John Manion and George Thornton:- “We have carefully examined the place where deceased happened his accident, and in our opinion the shot was the cause of it. There was what appeared to us knocked out by some cause, and about 12 inches of roof fell. Our belief is that it was the shot which blew out the timber and caused the fall, but we think that deceased’s injuries were caused wholly by the shot, not by the fall, and under the most careful consideration we come to the conclusion that it was a pure accident.”
The jury returned a verdict of “Accidentally killed.””


William Matthew Gustard

Died 14 November 1908 (accident 2 October 1908)

Aged 36 years, of Edwin Street, Amble.
 Born at Woodhorn. Buried West Cemetery, Amble, 17 November (Grave Plot 54J)

     At the 1911 census, William’s widow, Jane Ann is living at 3 Edwin Street, Amble, with three young children.

Morpeth Herald. 21 November 1908
     “Mr Chas. Percy, Coroner for North Northumberland, held an inquiry relative to the death of William Gustard, a miner, who sustained severe injuries at the colliery on October 2nd. Mr J. B. Atkinson, H.M. Inspector of Mines, and Mr John Flint, manager of the Broomhill Collieries, Ltd., were present; also workmen representing the miners.
Robert Gustard of Ellington, identified deceased as his brother. Deceased was a miner, and worked at Newburgh Colliery. He was 36 years of age.
     John Aston, a miner living at 30, Ladbroke Street, Amble, and working at Newburgh Pit, said he was “marrows” with the deceased. On the 2nd October he was working with him at about 11 o’clock. He was working in Princess Seam. He was out of his sight about 6 yards away. He was scalloping. The first thing he heard was deceased shouting “Oh dear.” He went to him and fund a stone on him: he was sitting doubled up, a large stone was a cross his shoulders. He could not lift it off, but managed to push it off. He pulled him into a safe place, and went to seek the deputy. – In answer to the Inspector of Mines, witness said he saw nothing about the place that was not safe. It was a stone about 9 inches thick that fell. It did not cant any timber. There was sufficient loose timber to put up if required. The deceased was a careful and experienced man.
Mr Flint: How long had he been in the place when this occurred? – Witness: About a quarter of an hour. – Mr Flint: Where did the stone fall? – Witness: It fell straight betwixt the two.
     William Johnson, of Radcliffe Colliery, said he was a deputy overman of Newburgh Colliery. On the 2nd Oct., he was in the place where deceased happened his accident. At 7.30 he examined it. He found the place safe and well timbered, and plenty of loose timber about. He went to the deceased. He examined the roof, where the stone fell. The stone was about 3ft. long and 9 inches thick. – Mr Atkinson: Did that look as if it had been standing inside the gap? – Witness: The stone fell straight down. – Mr Atkinson: You say the stone had fallen at the edge of the gap, clear of the stone and clear of the pillar. Could he have been caught by that unless he had been in it? – Witness: I cannot answer that question very well. – Mr Atkinson: Was Gustard a careful man? – Witness: Yes, he was a careful man; he had just dropped deputy work a week before. – In answer to Mr Flint, witness said the place was exceptionally well timbered, some timbering had been done that morning.
     The workmen’s report was as follows:- “We, the undersigned, have examined the place where the accident occurred, and we find that it is a pure accident, and no blame is attached to anyone. The stone that fell from the gap edge was four ft. long, 18 inches in breadth, and 8 inches in circumference. – (Signed) George Gilmore; John Penaluna.”
     Dr Henry Martyn Stumbles, Amble, said he was called to see the deceased on Oct. 2nd. He got information and met him on his way home. Witness got him home and examined his injuries. He found he was suffering from a partial fracture of the spine, which became complete within 48 hours. He gradually became weaker, and died on the 1th of November, from the results of a fracture of the spine.
The verdict of the jury was to the effect that deceased died from fracture of the spine occasioned by the accidental fall of a stone.”


John Hardy

Died 25 October 1895

Aged 50 years, of Amble.

Shields Daily Gazette. 26 October 1895
     “Yesterday morning a fatal accident occurred to a miner named Wm. Hardie,(sic) employed at the Radcliffe Colliery, Amble. It appears that while the deceased was engaged at his employment down the pit, a huge fall of stone fell upon the poor fellow, causing almost instantaneous death. The body was immediately taken to his residence at the west end of Amble. Deceased was a widower and leaves a family of two. As is the custom with fatal colliery accidents the miners ceased work for that shift.”

Shields Daily Gazette, 31 October 1895
     “The adjourned in quest concerning the death of Wm. Hardie (sic) who was killed by a fall of stone at Radcliffe Colliery last week was again adjourned from yesterday wing to the Government Inspector not being able to attend till next Wednesday, that gentleman has already examined the workings where the accident occurred and will no doubt report thereon at the next meeting of the jurymen.”

Morpeth Herald, 16 November 1895
     “At Radcliffe Colliery, 25th ult., accidentally killed, aged 50, Mr John Hardy”


 Andrew Hedley

Died 14 September 1894 (accident 10 September 1894)

Putter, aged 17 years, of Radcliffe.
Buried East Cemetery, Amble, 16 September. (Grave Plot P27)
   At the 1891 census, Andrew, born at West Wylam, is a coal miner living with his grandparents, John, a miner and Ann, in West Wylam.

Morpeth Herald, 22 September, 1894
     “Mr Chas. Percy, coroner for North Northumberland, held an inquest on Saturday, at the Radcliffe Arms Inn, Radcliffe, on the body of Andrew Hedley, 17 years of age, who came by his death through injuries received by an explosion of gas in the pit on the 10th inst.
John Hedley, miner, Radcliffe, deposed that deceased who was a putter at Radcliffe Colliery, was his grandson and had lived with him all his life. He went to work on Monday, the 10th inst., at 6.30 a.m. and was brought back at 8 o’clock injured severely from burns. He was attended by Dr Smyth until his death on the 14th inst. The lad told him before he died that he went into the pit as usual and no one said anything to him.
William Usher, deputy overman in the Newburgh Pit, Radcliffe Colliery, stated that on the day named he went on duty at 3 a.m. He examined the pit and found gas in a part of the Queen’s seam, where the deceased afterwards received his injuries. He commenced to clear the gas away by putting on more air. He should have met the putter at 6.30 at the meeting place, and he ceased work at this time for that purpose. When he got to the meeting place he ought to have put up a danger board to prevent anyone going there. This he forgot to do through being called away in a hurry to get someone to fill the places of the putters who had gone off on strike. He would nt be away more than ten minutes. When he was away, and going, he warned everybody he met not to go near the place he had quitted. Deceased, however, had got past him unnoticed while he was away seeking others. He was about 140 yards distant when he heard an explosion. He ran to the spot and found deceased with Thomas Inglis. He was burned. Witness told him he did not know he was in the pit. Deceased was not at the meeting station where he ought to have been, being prohibited by the rules from going past the meeting place without witness’s sanction. He would swear he gave deceased no sanction that morning.
     Thomas Inglis, miner, said he was working in the Queen’s seam on the morning named, and about 8 o’clock he heard a loud report about 100 yards from where he was. Running to the place he met Andrew Hedley when about 50 yards along. The boy was in flames and shouting, which he succeeded in putting out. Deceased was much burned, and with assistance he got him removed home. Deceased told him he had been two lengths of the plates off the tub where he had to work. He said he had not seen the deputy or anyone. There was not a hewer where deceased was that morning. He heard the deputy take a man out of the place and put him in another part because he said there was gas there. That was about half-past four o’clock.
    Benjamin Pitchford gave evidence of hearing the explosion, and assisting the injured youth home afterwards.
Dr Wm. Smyth stated he had attended deceased from the 10th inst. until his death on the following Friday. He was suffering severely from burns over his body and arms, and died from shock the result of these burns.
    The jury returned the following verdict: - “That Andrew Hedley died at Radcliffe on the 14th September, from shock, the result of burns accidentally received at Radcliffe Newburgh Pit on the 10th September.””


Browell Robinson Hooke

Died 1 February 1914

Colliery joiner, aged 41 years, of Amble.
 Buried West Cemetery, Amble 4 February “killed in the shaft at Newburgh Colliery” (Grave Plot 292B)

    At the 1911 census, Browell, born in Amble, was a joiner, living at 19 High Street, Amble, with his wife, Lizzie, and three children.

Newcastle Journal, 3 February 1914
     “A terrible accident occurred at Newburgh Colliery, whereby a joiner named Browell Hook lost his life. He was doing some repairs in the shaft, when by some means he fell. His body was found towards the bottom of the shaft lying across a beam. It was terribly mangled. Hook, who belonged to Amble, was 41 years of age, and leaves a widow and three children.”


Stephen Hume

Died 17 August 1914 (accident 16 August)

Hewer, aged 32 years, of Radcliffe.
 Buried West Cemetery, Amble, 21 August (Grave Plot 189D)

     At the 1911 census, Stephen, a bachelor, born at Wooperton, is lodging in Long Row, Radcliffe, with the Lynn family.

     (See Samuel Ainsley entry and Newcastle Journal article of 18 August)

Newcastle Journal, 3 September 1914
     “Mr R. E. B. Lisle, Deputy-Coroner, resumed the inquest at the Newcastle Infirmary, last night, into the circumstances attending the death of Stephen Hume (32), who resided in Long Row North, Radcliffe Colliery, and who died in the infirmary, on August 17th, as the result of injuries sustained whilst following his employment at Newburgh Colliery, on August 16th.
John Wardle, residing in Broomhill Street, Amble, a deputy-overman at Newbrough Colliery, said he examined the place where the accident occurred two days previously, and found everything all right. There was no accumulation of gas, and the air was quite pure. Before the place was worked on the Sunday night, it was the duty of Aynsley to examine it and see if it was safe. Witness could give no explanation as to the cause of the accident.
     William Pringle said he and Aynsley and Hume went into the pit about 10.40 p.m. to start work. While witness was getting his tools an explosion of gas occurred. He could not get back owing to the fumes, but by the mothergate he reached the bankhead in time to see George Hume carrying Stephen Hume who was insensible. Shortly afterwards he saw Aynsley, who was dead, having been killed by the explosion. Witness observed nothing suspicious till about a second before the explosion took place. The air suddenly seemed to go past him. There seemed to be plenty of ventilation.
     The jury returned a verdict to the effect that Hume was accidentally killed through an explosion of gas.
The Deputy-Coroner welcomed Mr William Weir, who had been recently appointed president of the Northumberland Miners’ Association.”


James Mitchell

Died 1 December 1893

Deputy, aged 40 years of New Row, Radcliffe.
 Buried East Cemetery, Amble, 5 December. (Grave Plot H 110)

Alnwick and County Gazette, 9 December 1893
    “On Monday, Mr. Charles Percy, coroner for North Northumberland, held an inquest as to the death of James Mitchell, of Radcliffe. The inquest was held at the Radcliffe Arms, Radcliffe.
- Robert Montgomery**, miner, deposed he knew deceased, who was a sinker at Radcliffe Colliery, and aged 41 years. He was engaged at some shaft work at the new shaft at Newborough Pit on the Friday previous, and had been since the work started, two years ago.
- James Bell, deputy overman at Newborough Colliery, said deceased and he were busy with some scaffolding about 14 fathoms from the bottom of the pit on Friday. The came to bank for some more wood. They were busy with opposite scaffolds at the same level. At 8 p.m. they were called to bank to let some men down the pit, and then went down again. Deceased called the cage away to bank for other two men. It went, and witness heard a slight noise, and on looking for deceased found he had disappeared. He shouted, but got no answer. He heard the cage strike something which stopped it. He then went down the pit with other three men, and found deceased at the bottom. His leg seemed broken. He did not think cage caused deceased to fall. He thought deceased in falling displaced some of the battens which were on the scaffold, which might have been caught by the cage. Deceased knew his work well, and witness did not think there was anything dangerous in the work nor did he complain of any other arrangements.
- Henry Craiggs, joiner, Radcliffe, deposed that, with last witness, he found deceased at the bottom of the shaft. He was much injured. There were some planks lying near him.
- A verdict was returned that deceased was accidentally killed by falling from a scaffold, and no blame was to be attached to the colliery officials.”

**Robert Montgomery was killed at Newburgh in 1908.


Robert Montgomery

Died 3 November 1908 (accident 1 August 1901)

Aged 40 years, of Radcliffe.
 Buried West Cemetery, Amble, 6 November (Grave Plot 58D)

At the 1901 census, Robert, born in Scotland, is a hewer, living in Dandsfield Place, Radcliffe, with his wife, Alice, and two children.


Nicholas O’Keefe

Died 21 December 1896 (accident 15 December 1896)

Aged 24 years, of Newburgh Street, Amble.
 Buried East Cemetery, Amble, 22 December. (Grave Plot X107)
At the 1891 census, Nicholas, a coal miner, born at Boldon, Co. Durham, is one of six children living with their parents, Edward, a coal miner, and Therese, at 20 Ladbroke Street, Amble.

Morpeth Herald, 26 December 1896
     “On Tuesday, Mr Charles Percy, coroner for North Northumberland, held an inquest at the Schooner Inn, Amble, on the body of Nicholas O’Keefe, a miner, aged 24 years, who came by his death under the following circumstances:-
Edward O’Keefe deposed that he lived at Amble. His son who lived with him worked at Radcliffe Colliery, and on the 14th of the present month deceased went to work at 10 p.m. About half-past two next morning he came back injured, and was attended by Dr Wilson and others till he died on the 20th inst.
     Edward Robison, a putter at Radcliffe Colliery, deposed that a little after 12 o’clock a.m. on the 15th inst. he (witness) went for his “bait.” Deceased was then sitting curving. When he came back a little after 12 o’clock he found deceased lying on his back injured, and asked him to raise him up. He (witness) noticed a fall of stone on the face of the dip close to deceased. No one else was at the face except deceased, who would be away from the fall about two feet. The fall came from the roof close to the face. He got assistance, and deceased was removed.
Thomas Campbell, miner, deposed that on the 14th inst. he was working mates with deceased, who came into the colliery about 10 p.m. to relieve him. He had taken all the stone from the roof before he started the hewing of coal. Before deceased got his clothes off he pointed out to him a slip which he noticed close to the coal head. He told deceased to be careful of this slip. There was a foot of “band” and a foot of coal above that again and the roof. They took the bottom three feet of coal out first. The shot was fired before he went away. About a yard of coal was blown down by the shot. The “band” was left. The dip ran through the “band” into the top coal. The proper thing for deceased to have done was to take down the “band.” On Saturday he cleared the fall of stone from the “face.” The “band” alone had fallen – stone about 4ft. 6 in, long and 2ft. 6 in. broad. The deceased had evidently been “curving” after he left him. They had wood props always ready if required.
     Henry Halliday, master shifter, deposed that about 10 p.m. he fired a shot in the bottom coal for Campbell. Deceased was there then, but had not commenced work. The shot would bring away about a yard of the bottom coal, leaving the band. The place was rather smoky, and he did not notice any slip in the band. After a shot he was supposed to examine and see that everything was safe. He could not say he examined the band at the time, because he could not see, in consequence of the smoke. Campbell said nothing to him about any slip. About 10 minutes past twelve, from what he heard he went to where deceased was working, and found him lying much injured. Deceased told him the stone had fallen upon him. He assisted to get him removed.
     Dr Thomas Wilson Lindsay stated that on the 15th inst. about 2.30 a.m., he was called to deceased whom he found suffering from two large bruises on the lumbar region of the back, and on lower region on the left side there was a swelling about the size of a hand. Deceased was evidently suffering from severe internal injuries. His injuries were likely to have been caused by a fall of stone. He attended deceased up to his death, which resulted from peritonitis caused by his injuries.
     A verdict was given “that deceased died from peritonitis, the result of injuries accidentally received, while working in Radcliffe Colliery on the 15th inst.””


Peter James Payne

Died 18 July 1924

Aged 50 years, of Amble.
Buried West Cemetery, Amble, 22 July “killed at Newburgh Colliery” (Grave Plot 164J)

     At the 1911 census, Peter, born in Norfolk, is a hewer, living at 9 Greenfield Terrace, Amble, with his wife, Margaret, and 4 children.


 George Thompson

Died 17 January 1899

Fireman, aged 19 years, of Radcliffe.
 Buried East Cemetery, Amble, 20 January. (Grave Plot E28)

    At the 1891 census, George, born at Bishopwearmouth, Co. Durham, is one of 5 children, living with their parents, Thomas, an engine driver, and Annie, at Togston Woodhouses.

Morpeth Herald, 28 January 1899
     “On Thursday, 19th inst., Mr Charles Percy, Coroner for North Northumberland, held an inquiry at the Radcliffe Arms, into the circumstances attending the death of George Thompson, from injuries received whilst working under the Radcliffe Coal Company, on the 17th inst. The evidence was as follows:-
      Thomas Thompson deposed that he lived at Radcliffe, and was an engineman. The deceased was his son, aged 19 years of age, a fireman at Radcliffe Colliery. He was lately firing on a locomotive of the Colliery Company. On Tuesday, the 17th inst., about 2 a.m., he went to his work all right. He enjoyed good health, and never had fits. He was brought home the same day about 2 p.m., injured.
William Stewart, living at Hauxley, deposed that he was a waggonway man under the Colliery Company. On Tuesday, about 1.30 p.m., he was on duty fetching an empty truck down from the points to be filled near the Newburgh Pit. Deceased was riding upon the first of five waggons going on the other line, attached to the engine on which he was working. They were full of coal. Deceased was riding on the right side buffer. Mr Mordue, the engine driver, was on the engine. He (witness) heard deceased shout, and looking, saw him down, his legs being over the rails. He ran and told Mordue to stop the engine, which he did, and coupled the first three off. Deceased was lying outside the waggonway, but his legs were badly injured by the three waggons passing over. He got deceased removed home. He thought the engine driver could not see deceased. He had often seen deceased riding on the waggons.
     John Mordue deposed that he was engine driver under the Colliery Company. He was on duty on Tuesday driving an engine. About 1.30 p.m. they were weighing coal waggons laden with coal. They had eight to do. This was done all right, and they took off the eight waggons, and began to push them up with the engine into the empty road. They got about fifty yards past the shaft. He was then riding on the engine. He rode from the weigh-house to a pair of points which he had to change. As soon as he changed them he got on to the same buffer again. He had nothing to do after that but put a check on to the waggons when he got to the far end. Any of the waggons would have done for that. The next thing that happened him changing the points was about fifty yards higher up, when the last witness, Stewart, shouted to him to stop. He did so, got off, and found deceased lying on the way, between the rails, in a sitting position. Five wheels had gone over both legs. They got him removed home. They would be going about three miles an hour, running steadily. Deceased had worked with him about sixteen months, and often rode on the buffer. He could have done his work from the engine quite well after passing the points. He asked deceased how it happened, and he said he had slipped his hand from the drawback.
     Wm. Smyth, physician and surgeon, practising at Amble, stated that he saw the deceased after the accident at his house, and found him suffering from compound fracture of both legs near the hips – the legs being practically severed. This might have been caused by wheels passing over them. Deceased was suffering from shock and loss of blood. He did not amputate the legs, as deceased was not in a good condition for that. He died the same day about 4.30 p.m.
     The jury returned a verdict that deceased died from injuries accidentally received when working as engine fireman under the Radcliffe Coal Company, he having accidentally fallen from the buffer of a waggon on which he was riding, and the wheels passing over and injuring his legs.”


Catherine Turnbull

Died 8 May 1914 (accident 30 April 1914)

Widow, aged 44 years, of Henderson Street, Amble.
 Buried West Cemetery, Amble, 12 May “widow of Cuthbert Turnbull” (Grave Plot 344B)
    At the 1911 census, Catherine, born at Newton by the Sea, is a widow, living with her 5 children, in 2 Henderson Street, Amble.

Newcastle Journal, 11 May 1914
     “At the Newcastle Infirmary, on Saturday, Coroner Appleby opened an inquiry into the circumstances attending the death of Catherine Turnbull, aged 44, of 2, Henderson Street, Amble – the widow of an Amble miner – who died in that institution on Friday night last.
-Robert Henry Henderson, son of the deceased, said that on April 30th his mother told him that she had picked up some powder in a tin, and walked away with it. When she got near the door it “went off,” and she was burned. The powder, witness understood, had been used by a miner who lodged in the house. – The Coroner pointed out that under the Regulation of Coal Mines Act the powder had to be kept in a special place at the colliery, and that when the men took it down the pit they had to return what they did not use to the custodian. If the practice at Amble was contrary to the regulations, then His Majesty’s Inspector of Mines for the district would want to ask some questions. – The inquiry was adjourned until Thursday.”

Newcastle Journal, 15 May 1914
     “At Newcastle Infirmary, last night, Mr Alfred Appleby, City Coroner, resumed the inquest on Catherine Turnbull, 44, widow of a miner, of Henderson Street, Amble, who died in the institution on May 8 from burns received through a tin of gunpowder exploding at her home.
William Broughton Shepherd, a miner at Radcliffe Colliery, belonging to the Broomhill Collieries, Ltd., said that he lodged with the deceased until the accident occurred. He had worked at the colliery for about six years. It was the practice in the district for miners to buy their own powder, and make up their cartridges at home. On April 30, when leaving for the pit, he asked Mrs Turnbull to get him some powder. The same night he was informed the woman had been burned through the powder exploding, but he did not know how the accident occurred.
Sergeant Smailes of the Northumberland County Constabulary, stationed at Amble, said that on April 30 he was called to the scene of the accident, and found the woman badly burned about the face, neck, and arms. Two doors, four windows, the ceilings in three of the rooms, and the furniture were damaged by the explosion. Mrs Turnbull said she was removing a tin of powder from a table in the kitchen to a place in the front room, where he would be safer, when a spark from the fire caused the tin of powder to explode.
A verdict of “Accidental death” was returned, the jury expressing the opinion that the keeping of powder in houses was a dangerous practice, and hoped it would be stopped.”


Thomas Darling Turnbull

Died 23 May 1914 (accident 1 May 1913)

Aged 39 years, of 7 Leslie Row, Radcliffe.
 Buried West Cemetery, Amble, 27 May (Grave Plot 264B)

    At the 1911 census, Thomas, a hewer, born at Newcastle, is living with his wife, Eleanor, and their 4 children, in Burn Row, Radcliffe.


William D Turner

Died 9 December 1913 (accident 7 September 1906)

Hewer, aged 51 years.


David John White

Died 29 December 1918 (accident 8 May 1918)

Colliery labourer, aged 51 years.
 Buried West Cemetery, Amble, 1 January 1919 (Grave Plot 76B)

   At the 1911 census, David, a surfaceman, born at Titlington, Eglingham, is living with his wife, and two children, in 12 Henderson Street, Amble.

Alnwick and County Gazette, 4 January 1919
     “Mr. Chas. Percy, M.P. Coroner for North Northumberland, held an inquiry at Alnwick Infirmary into the circumstances attending the death of David John White, 51 years of age, who had been employed as a fireman at Newburgh Colliery, but resided at Middleton Street, Amble.
Jemima White, widow of the deceased, stated that at 6 a.m. on May 8th, her husband came home complaining of having fallen while working on with a wagon, and having hurt himself in the right side. He suffered until the 9th June, when he stopped work, but went back on the 15th July and finally stopped work on the 23rd September. Dr. Scobie attended him for about five weeks, when he was admitted to the Infirmary, on Saturday.
Thomas Taylor stated he and deceased were moving some empty trucks. The deceased slipped and fell, twisting his back.
Dr. Scott Purves, who had made a post mortem examination of the body, stated that had the deceased been operated upon shortly after the accident occurred he would certainly have recovered.
     His death was due to sceptic poisoning and exhaustion.
     A verdict was returned in accordance with the medical testimony.
The jury was composed of Messrs. Robert Graham (foreman), A. Sanderson, C. Pigg, John Brown, G.B. Bell, Jno. Dixon, and G.B. Carmichael.”


Frederick Wilfred Williams

Died 24 April 1914

Labourer, aged 23 years.
 Buried West Cemetery, Amble, 26 April “killed at Amble Station (Grave Plot 228B)

Newcastle Journal, 25 April 1914
“A somewhat remarkable accident occurred at Amble Station yesterday afternoon, when a man named Frederick Williams lost his life. He and another workman had gone to the station to fetch a heavy pipe for the Newburgh Colliery. When proceeding along the platform Williams slipped his foot, and fell on to the line, with the heavy metal pipe on top of him. Death was instantaneous.”