| On the 14th of January, 1656, Henry
Horsley of Milburn Grange executed a deed in which he declared that
certain lands which were conveyed to Henry Lawson and himself by Sir
William Hewitt were held in trust for William Smith.
N The estates of Amble and Togston passed in regular descent
from father to son until the death of Mr. T. G. Smith in
1862, when, under his will, the reversion was given to his
kinsman, Mr. Edward Maule Lawson, second son of the Rev. Edward Lawson
of Longhurst, who assumed the additional name of Smith, and is the
The lands for which William Reed was rated in 1663, and which
gave a vote to Robert Reed at the election of 1722, passed under his
will dated the 13th of April, 1720, to his nephew, John Taylor, and were
absorbed in his estates.
N John Hudson was one of the copyholders who, in 1631,
enfranchised their lands,
N and though his name does not appear in the rate book of
1663, the massive head of the low browed doorway of a strongly built
house, which still stands in the main street, bears the initials and
Ralph Hudson in
1774 voted for lands in Amble, which were subsequently conveyed by Tibby
Hudson to John Turner, who voted for the same at the contested election
George Browell was one of the complainants in the suit
heard in the Court of Exchequer in 1615, and his name appears in the
list of copyholders in 1628. Edward Browell was party to a conveyance in
N of 4 acres of land in Amble fields to Robert Widdrington of
Hauxley, and he was proprietor of about a fourteenth part of the
township in 1633. On the 24th of March, 1723, Edward Browell, son and
heir of Gerard Browell, conveyed his lands in Amble to Alexander
Johnston of Newcastle, chapman, who was succeeded by his son, William
Johnston of Newcastle, merchant. In 1765 William Johnston Temple of
Berwick, son of William Temple of the same place, by Sarah, his wife,
who was sister of the above-named William Johnston, sold the lands in
Amble purchased by his grandfather, to Ralph Lambton of Sunderland, who,
two years later, conveyed the same to Martin
N William Johnston Temple subsequently became vicar of St.
Gluvias, in Cornwall, and was the paternal grandfather of the present
archbishop of Canterbury. Persons bearing the name of Browell still
reside at Warkworth.
The homestead of the Bullock family stood, and their house
still stands, at the west end of the village street. In 1629 Robert
Bullock was the lessee of the manor house, and his name appears as a
tenant of the lands conveyed in 1630 from Sir William Hewitt to Lawson
and Horsley. His holding was evidently but a small one, and is not
mentioned in the rate book of 1663,
N but Robert Bullock, a freeholder in
Amble, died on the 17th of December, 1698,
N and was buried in Warkworth
churchyard. He was succeeded by his son, George Bullock, who was buried
on the 2nd of January, 1728/9. On the 5th of February, 1730, Thomas Todd
of Hilton, and Jane, his wife, and John Fawcus of Amble Hope-house, and
Dorothy, his wife (which Jane and Dorothy were the two daughters of
George Bullock, blacksmith, deceased), sold their lands in Amble to
Thomas Smith of Togston and John Taylor of Amble. Smith and Taylor by
deed dated the 15th of February, 1745, agreed to divide not only the
lands so purchased, but their patrimonial lands which lay intermixed
with one another `rigg and- rein.'
Both Edward and Barbara Taylor of Amble were complainants in the
trespass suit heard before the Court of Exchequer in 1615, and Robert
Taylor's name appears in the list of copyholders in 1630. In 1663 John
Taylor was proprietor of a fourteenth part of the township. About the
year 1720 John Taylor succeeded to the lands of his uncle, Robert Reed
(subject to the life interest of the testator's widow, Dorothy Reed),
and in 1767 Martin Taylor purchased from Ralph Lambton the estate
previously belonging to Johnston and Temple, which had at an early date
belonged to Browell.
N What is known of the family is set out in the
following pedigree :
Wellwood Rattray, the representative of the Taylor family, in 1875 sold
N by auction for about £15,000 : the residence known as Amble
house was purchased by the late Dr. Currie (who devised it to his wife),
and the farm of Amble Link-house was purchased by the trustees of the
will of Mr. T. G. Smith of Togston.
The proceedings in the Court of Exchequer in 1615,
already referred to, were largely the result of the gradual changing of
the course of the river Coquet, which resulted in a tract of ground some
16 acres in extent being subtracted from the south and added to the
north side of the stream. This gradual and natural variation was
interfered with in 1765, when by a more violent process the river left
its old course and broke another and shorter way through the links at a
point intermediate between the river mouth and the place where it now
flows into the sea. Since 1765 the river mouth has very slowly and
gradually worked southward.
In 1837 an Act of Parliament was obtained and
commissioners were appointed for the purpose of improving the mouth of
the river and forming a harbour. After the consideration of various
schemes, plans submitted by Mr. John Murray were adopted on the advice
of Sir John Rennie ; these plans, with certain modifications and
additions, have been carried out at a cost of over £200,000. The
engineering works comprise the construction of two heavy stone piers
(one on either side of the river's mouth), which confine the entrance to
the harbour to a width of about 250 feet and the
m straightening and deepening of the river and the erection of a line of
quays and of shipping berths upon the south side. The import trade is
inconsiderable, and consists of pit props, deals, and other timber.
There is an export trade of bricks, fireclay, iron, herrings, etc.,
besides the greater part of the coal raised by the Broomhill and
Radcliffe Coal Companies.
In 1869 the townships of Amble, Hauxley, with Coquet Island,
Gloster-hill, and part of Togston were severed from the ecclesiastical
parish of Warkworth and constituted an ecclesiastical district or parish
N the new benefice was endowed by
the Ecclesiastical commissioners under the Local Claims Act, with a
fraction of the great tithes of the rectory of Warkworth.
N A church, dedicated to St. Cuthbert, was built in 1870,
N and a parsonage or vicarage house in 1876.
N The township of Amble was constituted a local government
district in 1878.
The Roman Catholics began a mission by holding services at
Cliff-house in 1844, but it was suspended from 1850 to 1876, and in 1879
a school chapel was built on a plot of ground on the site of the old
manor house given by Mr. Charles Leslie.
A Congregational chapel
N was built in 1848 and replaced by a new structure in 1894,
and the Wesleyan Methodist Society built a meeting house in 1865, which
was replaced by a larger chapel in 1891.
N A public school under the management of a committee of the
inhabitants was provided about 1854, and a National school was built in
N both are under government inspection.